My Bus Tour to the Milwaukee County Arts Museum and Renaissance Gardens…

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat My Bus Tour to the Milwaukee County Arts Museum and Renaissance Gardens…

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by ili Z.9 ili Z.9 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

Margie and I took a Bus Tour with the Garden Club Last Month and it was well worth the price of the trip…

The Villa was built atop the Michigan Bluffs by a wealthy architect who had a lovely wife and five children who grew up in this Mansion.  As time wore on the Villa/Mansion fell into the hands of heirs down the line, but when a lady in the member family could no longer maintain this lovely Mansion she tried to rent it out free to whomever could keep it maintained.  But no one came forward for this bargain, so the lady who owned it donated the Villa to Milwaukee County who could manage to maintain this beautiful Mansion.  It is awesome!  There are several Apple trees on the Bluffs toward the front of the Mansion and several shrubs as well.  There is a water stairway between all of this which is amazing.  What a great architect to have done all this.  The inside of the Mansion is still in its original state other than the main room because a fire had started there due to a negligent contractor who left a hot iron on when he went to lunch.  The garden grounds sit below it in front with a spectacular view of the Lake which was private at the time.  Once made public a highway was built along the Lake next to the Grounds.

The Water Stairway is a dynamic work of art here.  Its steps trickle water all the way down to the gardens in front of the Mansion.  We were about to leave and they had turned it on in this picture so we could take a picture of it running.

Here is a closer view of the water stairway which was not working when we arrived because it was early in the day.  They turned it on just as we were about to leave.  Look at the beautiful trees on the Bluffs and the trees down on the Garden Grounds.  You can see the front gate and the public highway and further out is the Lake which does not show very well on here.  The sun was bright that day.

Water stairway and another statue on the wall to look at.  They had many statues in the courtyard of the Mansion as well with a fountain in the center.  Flowers all around of course, but I forgot my camera so Margie took pictures.

It was quite a walk up to the Mansion by stairway.  What a feat to build in the days.

One of the inside rooms wallpaper and some decor.  There was a lot of wrought iron in the place and gilded framework on a lot of the pictures on the walls.

What a wonderful Bus tour.  I have a few pics of the Botanical Garden as well, but I will post them later due to a slow network right now.

#5272826 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Julie….I was wondering if you were going to share pics of your bus tour…..glad you did!  What a lovely place and I am happy that the county does maintain it….and it appears they do a great job.  I love the stairs waterfall….how unique!

I can’t believe you forgot your camera….sounds like something I would do….lol.   Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5272829 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

I know Charlene.  I could not believe I left it in the car either.  I had to get up too early that morning and I was not wide awake.  I left the camera on the seat of the car where Marge had been sitting and never saw it when I left the car to get onto the Bus…LOL.

CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Beautiful…. what a neat trip…

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5272835 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

Sharon, it was a neat trip and they do this every year.  They go to different places each trip and they are always very interesting and informative.  They visit two to three different gardens in one day, we eat a really good box lunch at one of the gardens in a cafe or restaurant there and get snacks and refreshments on the bus as well, and all of that for 75 dollars each person for the full day.  That includes any ticket price or fee to get into the gardens as well.  From what I have been told, you cannot find any other Tour Bus around who will do all of that for that price.

I forgot to mention that we also took a trip to Greendale that day before we went to the Botanical Gardens where the Taste of Home test kitchen is located and was pointed out to us.  They have a statute of Norman Rockwell the painter on the corner of the town painting a picture.  It is the cutest and prettiest flower town I have ever seen.  Flowers everywhere and Charlene would be right at home living there among all the flowers along the streets and in the yards of the neighbors all around.  You can see how the people who live there respect their little city/town and how it all looks.  There are a lot of nice places in Wisconsin to live.  Very beautiful places.

#5272851 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I love the wallpaper.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5272855 Report Abuse
    Donna
    Donna
    Participant

Lovely tour Julie and thank you for sharing photos with us.

Donna_Canada_Z_5

#5272974 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Wow!  Beautiful place! So glad you shared the pics!  Sorry you forgot your cam!  Love the wallpaper, too!  Cant believe the lady of the manor couldnt find anyone to live there for free if they maintained it!  What a great deal!

#5272986 Report Abuse
    Sandy K.
    Sandy K.
    Participant

What a lovely view to be able to see every morning . The stairs are fantastic,I don’t think I would want to walk them everyday to work in the garden thou lol. Not fond of the wall paper but loving the wrought iron .

Sounds like you had a wonderful day Julie and always better when you get to spend it with friends . This is one to add to your memory books .

Sandy k.

Find more about Weather in Lupton, MI

#5273018 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

What a neat place.  I’d love to see that.  Sounds like you had a really fun day.  It would be fun to go thru Greendale too.

new sig photo signature_12.gif

#5273212 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

Lovely pictures tour of the Mansion…..beautiful place…I see the responsibility of taking care of all its grounds…maybe for somebody very young, energetic and with lots of money….lol….Glad the County is keeping everything very nice….

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.