My African Violets

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat My African Violets

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Donna Donna 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    abeyl
    abeyl
    Participant

My African Violets came yesterday and they are all in pots. I ordered 4 plugs and some leaves. I always look for something to grow in the winter. I’m excited, wish me luck.  Abey

#5278864 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

I have never had any luck with African Violets…..Good Luck to you….My Mother would have the prettiest ones and she would give me one and I took them home…..down hill from there…they all died on me…not the right light I guess….she had a bay window that got the morning sunlight so I guess that is what they needed.

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#5278873 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

Very pretty Abey!

I would try them too but I always have so many things to bring in to overwinter that I wouldn’t have any room for them. I am wondering where I am going to put all I have to bring in this winter, lol.

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#5278882 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Very pretty Abey.  I’m sure you’ll do just fine with them.

I hare finally managed to get them to grow & bloom reliably.  (I now have 2)  And yes Janet, I think it is a matter of finding just the  right spot.  I tried them everywhere .  Got one last yr & put it in the kitchen window over the sink which faces north.  The first one did so well that I bought another one recently & that one is doing well also.

Does anybody know if you can transplant them into bigger pots while they are blooming or better to wait till they are at rest?

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5278901 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

Any time. A friend pours the last of cold coffee in hers and says they bloom better. Haven’t been drinking much tea, but I think it helps.

Those are beautiful blooms. Mine are all plain. Guess I have a dark one edged in white. Hasn’t bloomed for a while – so maybe I sold them all.

But I have several that aren’t blooming. I have had luck in my kitchen window to the west. I have Vanition blinds – so they don’t get too much hot summer sun.  But they get lots of light.

My sister grew so many in HS and she had them in east window – lots of sun.

Either over water or under- watering can kill them.  I think it is whether you look at them most every day that makes the difference.

But those who think – oh, have I watered in a while and dump too much on them. they need bottom drainage – or a careful watering routine.

Time to think about bringing some of them in. Did sell about 5 sets last Thur – produce in the park.

Will take some different ones and reduce the price.

Got the machine finished today. Age is getting to me. Hard to get it all done in one sitting.  This did more, more lint and ben’t lever on BH.  Had her watch while I took the bottom off. So full of lint. Helps them realize that blowing is bad – unless you have removed the bottom.

Both machines had much lint packed in the feed dogs. Lint is same color so it doesn’t show and you need to know – to look for it.

Lint-itous is a very bad sewing machine ailment.

Have had real packers come in. In 2 cases neew ones – med price and quilters, The lint lifted the plate or lowered feed so It couldn’t feed it thru.

Love to service machines. But energy and brain hard to keep going.  Life had been good. Alma

<*)~// Tealbird

#5278922 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Abey….those are very pretty AV!  I am sure you will have fun with them all winter, and probably for years to come.  My Mom grew very beautiful AV….she had them in north or east windows…..and she fertilized them with fish emulsion….how well I remember the stink on fertilizing day….lol.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5278926 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

Where did you buy your violets from? Years ago I had lots and sent for starts from an elderly lady but now I’m down to just one and I’m surprised it’s still alive! First I let it dry out to much and then over watered it but got it back to good health. Would you believe it’s on a little shelf above my kitchen sink? LOL

#5278994 Report Abuse
    abeyl
    abeyl
    Participant

I ordered them from two different people on eBay. The plugs came from Canada and the leaves came from Florida. Alma I think you may be right. My youngest daughter ask me last year, Mother do you think your plants know you talk to them LOL. I said I don’t know but I think there is a connection, I just feel it. When I go around looking at my plants I think Oh you are so beautiful! I have them in an East window. Years ago I grew them in a North window, but I don’t have a North window here. As I said before my niece ask if I would baby sit her violets last year when they went on vacation and I learned I could grow them in that window. They were gone all summer. I had been wanting to try to grow them again. Last fall my granddaughter from Ft Worth was here and she came through the dining room dragging a plant stand that was in a back bedroom and said Gram here is you a plant stand. That was the stand I was gonna use. It has a place for 9 plants, just what I needed. Abey

#5279064 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

Thanks!

#5279262 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

I have always loved them but havent had any in yrs!  You are inspiring me to get a couple of them!  I usually have good luck w/ them!  Just get any brand of african violet plant food even one of those jobe plant sticks for the african violets.  Another trick is not to over water, and when watering, try hard not to get the leaves wet!  They are easy to start new ones from cuttings.

#5279288 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

I use to love to start them from leaves that I would send for. Our stores will have them now and then but they don’t have a big variety. My problem is that I have a lot of houseplants and not enough space with light.

#5279295 Report Abuse
    Donna
    Donna
    Participant

Very pretty Abey.

Donna_Canada_Z_5

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.