My $6.00 Hydrangea

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat My $6.00 Hydrangea

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by margba margba 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I haven’t gotten it in the ground yet.  Don’t want to do it while it is so hot & dry.  The blooms are so heavy they are bending the branches over.  The plan was to cut the blooms off & put them in a vase, then kind of tie the branches up (if needed) when I plant it.  I couldn’t bear to cut them off.  LOL

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5264150 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Pretty color. Cut them. Enjoy them in your house. Next year they’ll be even nicer.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5264153 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

I love the color! I would cut them off, enjoy them inside, you don’t want to plant them with the blooms on you want the roots to get established. You got a real bargain there!

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5264155 Report Abuse
    davehhhj
    davehhhj
    Participant

hello

any sugestions  on how to make  a hydrangea  bloom

dave  in arkansas

thanks

dave

#5264168 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

What a deal. Those sure are pretty!

new sig photo signature_12.gif

#5264185 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Those are beautiful!  Julie’s neighbor has one like that….she got hers at Aldi’s for $6.  I never run into those bargains.  I would also pick them and enjoy them in the house….they last a long time in a bouquet.  I would suggest drying them, but they are at the wrong stage for that.

Dave….if your hydrangea isn’t blooming it may need more sun.  What kind of hydrangea do you have?  Some bloom on old wood while others bloom on new wood.  Most of them hardy for my zone bloom on new wood and come back from the root every year.   Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5264196 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

That is gorgeous, Gayle!  I would want that at almost any price, but the $6 you paid was a steal.  I’m with the others who would take the blooms inside and enjoy them there for this year.  A little outside beauty brought inside is always a good thing.  And as Molly said, I think the roots would have an easier time establishing themselves.  You’d have a 2 for 1 deal that way.

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5264226 Report Abuse
    davehhhj
    davehhhj
    Participant

how  can i send a picture to you

dave it come back each year new growth

dave

#5264343 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

Beautiful!!  there’s any Hydrangea that I don’t like..they are just great…I bought a blue one with lots of full blooms,  and had it by the front door for a while, when getting hotter I placed it by the fireplace, where it gets lots of sunshine through the sliding door..I was supposed to move it somewhere else where is shady, but never did and up to today is sitting pretty in my lv.room…

<span class=”SFDYNEL” id=”cropperevents” style=”left: 236px; top: 215px; width: 329px; height: 329px; overflow: hidden; visibility: visible; cursor: move;”></span>

<span class=”SFDYNEL” id=”cropperevents” style=”left: 236px; top: 215px; width: 329px; height: 329px; overflow: hidden; visibility: visible; cursor: move;”></span>

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

#5264348 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I have problems getting hydrangeas to bloom also & light is not an issue.  So I don’t know the answer.  I have an Incrediball that is huge & blooms profusely.  A Pinky Winky that has buds this year.  But a couple of Forever & Ever (which are smaller plants) bloom very little or not at all this year (Could be from the cold winter.  Other people have been complaining of the same thing)  And then I also have one called a Big Leaf which refuses to grow & has never bloomed.

I’m hoping this one does well.

Dave, to post a photo here you have to go thru a 3rd party like Photobucket, TinyPic, etc;  There are several threads on Community Help with info on this.  Or , if you are on Facebook you can C&P directly from there to here.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5264349 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Gayle, that is gorgeous!  Not sure if that price is good or not, as I have never bought hydrangeas before!  But I only imagine so.  Enjoy!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.