Motivation Monday: Rain Barrels

Home Forums Gardening Look What I Made Motivation Monday: Rain Barrels

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  tealbirdIA_Z4 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Welcome to our first Motivation Monday, a chance to share our projects – past, present, and future – on a specific theme each week.  I’m kicking us off this week with rain barrels. Here in Florida, we pretty much have two seasons: wet, and dry (AKA summer, and everything else). During the dry season, watering restrictions often go into effect, and using sprinklers is limited if not downright prohibited. During those times, rain barrels are extremely helpful, especially for watering container plants on porches and patios. We installed a rain barrel a few years ago, made from a food-grade barrel painted in a plain color to match our house.

We used a diverter kit that you can buy to direct the water from our downspout into the barrel. When the barrel is full, the water automatically switches back to running through the downspout – pretty spiffy! These are available on the web – do a search for “downspout diverter kit”. You can buy one, or get a DIY to make your own. Later on, we landscaped around it so it was a little less obvious to the neighbors.

Do you have a rain barrel at your house? Show us a photo, and share how you made it, any challenges you faced, and how you use it!

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#4884304 Report Abuse
    Mary Dolan
    Mary Dolan
    Keymaster

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing this.

Mary / Community Co-Manager / mary_dolan@rd.com

#4908023 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I’ ve seen plenty of rain barrels but never the diverter kit.  Neat idea.  No downspouts at my house so no rain barrels.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4925898 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

We have two rain barrels at the back of the car shed…The shed ( and I say shed because it is a work area outside for DH but we do park the car there) anyhow the shed has rain gutters down both sides  with no down spouts so we placed the barrels just under the end of the lower gutters and when it rains the water runs to the end and pours into the barrels.. works for us….only thing is  this way we have to dip the water out as we don’t have a spigot at the bottom..and with so many trees around us we would have to put a top on the barrels if we did.

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#4951563 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I have 6 rain barrells, but no need to show pictures.  They are the huge rubbermaid garbage containers.  We have one on the north side of the house….one on the east….one on the front porch and 3 on the south side.

The water is transported by a very modern method….5 gallon buckets….lol.  Hey…it works for me.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5068432 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

We have several, some are garbage cans and one is a huge blue barrel a man down the road sells. We dip from the top but son has a spout at the bottom to drain the water into buckets we we have room for more when it rains.

#5131024 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

Mine are more like Charlene’s. But smaller containers and carry it in gallon jugs.  Works for me.

I have 3 from WalMart that are aqua. 2 are like a pot with 4 rounded handles the other is like the bushel basket with handles like twisted rope but still the molded plastic,

They still carried them last year. One is the oval scrub bucket. It is so much better than a round bucket. Must have been made by a woman. LOL. JMO

<*)~// Tealbird

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.