Miracle Gro question

Home Forums Gardening Veggie Gardening Miracle Gro question

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by luvmyb_b luvmyb_b 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

It has become clear that I have got to fertilize my veggie plants in the pots.  I have an OLD (like maybe 10 yrs.) box of Miracle Gro that I found in the shed but don’t know if I ought to use that or not.  What do you all think?  Might it still be good, or has it gone bad?  I know that DH is going to say “Just use that.”  He doesn’t care a fig for things like expiration dates and what not.  I tend to watch things like that in great detail.  I guess I need an impartial opinion on this.  Use it or toss it?

Thanks!

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5265263 Report Abuse
    steepdrive
    steepdrive
    Participant

Good question.  I have no idea whether it would expire.  Does the box say that?

photo signature_1.gif

#5265277 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

It will last for years… I just read up on it… says as long as its dry, hasn’t been mixed, it should be ok..
    In future, you can store fertilizer for future years (it will last many years) but do not mix more than you need at a time.

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5265301 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Sharon is right.  I keep my fertilizer in either plastic or glass containers with tight fitting lids to be sure no moisture gets to it.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5265356 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

Well, here is my issue, the box appears to have been wet at one time.  Inside is a plastic bag that isn’t open, but there is blue “moisture” on the outside of the bag.  This bag was inside an open bag.  The contents do not seem hard as if they had gotten wet in the past.  The bag seems to be as pliable as if it were new.  Maybe water got inside the outer bag and mixed with some excess fertilizer?  I have a plastic tub that I found marked “Miracle Gro”, which I don’t think is, but is a granular fertilizer of that same type.  Seems familiar in my CRS addled brain, anyway.  I marked the directions on the lid of container so I do know how to mix it up.  I am thinking I will put the real Miracle Gro in with the faux stuff so I won’t have to wonder in the future, so long as the instructions are the same.  Make sense?

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.