#6: Made by You Spring 2014 – Caren Grant

Home Forums Gardening Look What I Made #6: Made by You Spring 2014 – Caren Grant

This topic contains 20 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Lady Bird Lady Bird 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Lady Bird
    Lady Bird
    Participant

Birdbath photo Birdbath2_zpsc7f661c0.jpg

Inspired by: http://www.birdsandblooms.com/backyard-projects/recycled-garden-ideas/recycled-lamp-diy-bird-bath/

My back yard is on a pond with preserve behind it so it’s the perfect place for attracting birds.  I have feeders, bird houses, and bird baths but was always buying the ones that cost the least because that’s what I could afford.  I didn’t like the look of what I had so I was inspired to make my own!

• This topic was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Lady Bird Lady Bird.
    • This topic was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Jill Staake Jill Staake.
    #5145734 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Welcome to the boards. That really looks nice. Often times people can make things fairly cheaply that looks like something expensive you find at some of the stores. You done a really good job on that. Maybe some others that have made things can post pictures of them as well.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5145738 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Caren, welcome to B&B from Northeastern NY in the heart of the Adirondack Mountains.  Love your birdbath.  I too like to see all those expensive things in the stores and find a way to make something similar that works within my budget.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5145745 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Hi Caren… what a great idea… I love it… very inspiring…

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5145752 Report Abuse
    Lady Bird
    Lady Bird
    Participant

Thanks All!

#5145753 Report Abuse
    Lady Bird
    Lady Bird
    Participant

@ wilderness_NY – Thank You!  My husband and I are originally from NY – Long Island for me and Oneonta for him now living in Northern FL to escape the cold!  There’s nothing like the satisfaction of making something beautiful using inexpensive materials with your own 2 hands!

@CatsBirds – Thanks!  Glad I could inspire you.  :)

@steve232_nc – Thanks!  I also enjoy seeing what others do.

#5145758 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Welcome to the boards from western New York State, 90 miles south of Buffalo, NY and 10 miles from the northern Pa. border.

Your work is beautiful and lovely yard and fencing, too.

Hope you enjoy your time here and you will meet lots of nice folks, too.

#5145972 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Welcome to you, Caren!  I love your project.  I have always admired the lovely things people do with glass for their yards, but we have so much wind here and the thought of placing something glass outdoors just scares the death out of me.  You did a great job….and have the perfect location….good for you!  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5146066 Report Abuse
    dena1123
    dena1123
    Participant

Very Cool indeed!  Did you use any adhesive type glue on that or just stacked them?  I have seen some similar at Art Shows, Flea Markets etc, more like Garden Art, not Bird Baths and I think one lady told me she used JB Weld???  Not sure.

I was looking at birdbaths over the weekend and thought they were to pricey.  Hmmm, I may have to hit the local thrift shop and see what I can come up with…

#5146071 Report Abuse
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

Beautiful.  I would like to know what type glue you used also.

Community Team Member

#5146085 Report Abuse
    Lady Bird
    Lady Bird
    Participant

I don’t recall the name of the glue.  It’s a water resistant glue specifically for glass.  Found it at the craft store.  Not JB Weld or E6000.  I added a band of clear caulk around the glued areas as extra protection.

#5146101 Report Abuse
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

Thanks for the info.

Community Team Member

#5146190 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

Welcome from the rolling hills of SW Iowa. Love that glass color.

That is so pretty. But in my garden the cats and coons knock over my bird baths. I hope you don’t have that problem.

Now I just use plastic ones that are low. The tera cotta one got patched 3 times and no longer held water – so I use it for a container garden. That has been fun.

Yes the wind is strong here, too. My plastic one was at the end of the block when I rescued it earlier this spring. Alma

<*)~// Tealbird

#5146205 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Welcome to the Board & that’s a beautiful bird bath.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5146206 Report Abuse
    Lady Bird
    Lady Bird
    Participant

Thanks everyone!  We do get strong winds here at times but the bird bath has weight to it – made sure of that and I made the bottom of it so it can be pushed into the ground.  The only thing that ever caused it to topple was my husband accidentally nudging it with the lawn mower.  No harm done though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.