Jobs!!!! What kind of jobs did you have????

Home Forums Backyard Chat General Jobs!!!! What kind of jobs did you have????

This topic contains 37 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Backhoewife Backhoewife 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

I started out as a babysitter at age 12… I had a great family to sit for…

Got married , had my sons, and worked as an Avon lady while they were small… Then I went to work fast food, for a place called Molly’s… which became Burger Chef… worked there  about 3 years.  Then worked retail, Fisher Big Wheel which became Buckeye Mart… I ran 4 departments there for about 5 years..

Then stayed home for 12 years with the boys.. Started back to work at Farm & Fleet…worked there a year.. …then got hired at WalMart… as the boys were getting ready to go to college… stayed there for 21 1/2 years… until 3 years ago… then retired..

So where have you worked …how long… what did you do?????

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5459311 Report Abuse
    fishseddyNYzn5A
    fishseddyNYzn5A
    Participant

Sharon – you had a pretty good work history.

I started working at my first and only job with AT&T on July 1, 1968 and retired from them on October 31, 2000 after 32 years of service.

It was AT&T Long Lines (which was part of Ma Bell), then went to AT&T Communications, then AT&T, then the Sales Divison went to Lucent Technologies and my pension check comes from Alcatel Lucent.

I held many jobs within the company working in Adminsistration, Overseas Dept, Sales, etc.

It was a good job while it lasted and my older brother and younger brother also worked there.

Guess you could say we were a BELL SYSTEM FAMILY.

photo signature_1.gif

#5459312 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Judy.. nice to have stayed at one place… I am glad I got to experience all I did.. sounds like you had a lot of different things to do and take care of..

#5459313 Report Abuse
    fishseddyNYzn5A
    fishseddyNYzn5A
    Participant

Sharon, even though it was the same company the jobs I held over the 32 year period were very diversified and I worked with so many different people over the years.

I started off as non-management and finished up as a second level management employee – not bad for a kid who just went to high school.

I never wanted to go to college – I always said if I was going to spend 8 hours a day anywhere I wanted to get paid for it – and I always wanted to be a secretary and that is what I started at 😉

photo signature_1.gif

#5459315 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Judy, same here, never wanted to go to college.. nope.. wasn;t for me.. even though I was a good student.. brother went.. but like you I wanted to make money… lol

#5459334 Report Abuse

Maurmaur_westcolo
    Participant

at age 82 I am still working doing medical transcription.

#5459348 Report Abuse
    mary
    mary
    Participant

finished school worked as office clerk then when woman immigrated to Canada i got her job telephonist.copy typist for five years  then  married ,babysat and earned spending money! told my daughter Karen when she was expecting second child no more babysitting I am retiring!  Maurmaur- you must have good health to still be working at 82! Mary in KY

#5459402 Report Abuse
    Sandy K.
    Sandy K.
    Participant

I held a lot of jobs in my 56 years . While still in high school I was teaching pre school children & tending a typing class once out of high school I attended college but found it wasn’t for me so took on a store clerk job days while also working night at a pizza place then filled in weekends at the local bar . Three jobs got to be to much so I moved on to a quiet baby sitting job working in house for two beautiful children while I took at home college courses . Moved north in my twenty’s and landed a managers job in the local bar where I stayed until my child was born . I retired for five years then went back to work for the Moose lodge  worked five years there and took on the job of a cook for the boy scouts of America where I made food for 300 people three times a day . I had perks with that job as it came with a house for the summer and use of the facilities . I like that job :-) & was there for another five years when the opportunity came up to work at I.T.T.  which is a factory job making fuel harnesses for the big three automotive company. I stayed there until the company closed the doors to move their factory to Mexico . I moved on to working in a garden nursery for several years until I again retired for eight years . As of a year and a half ago I was forced back into the work force due to a death and I now work as a security guard  week ends and holidays . I have my week days off to garden and the amount that I make pays my bills . I guess you can say I have been bless to have the job with the work force being as it is now a days .

Sandy K

Find more about Weather in Lupton, MI

#5459405 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Maurmaur… still working??? well if you enjoy it… what did you do before this?

Mary, you were quite busy too… and nope on the babysitting..lol

Sandy, wow.. what a neat bunch of jobs.. but cooking for 300 no way..lol

#5459412 Report Abuse
    oldgirl06
    oldgirl06
    Participant

I started babysitting at 12

14–got my first real job as a cashier in the grocery dept of a dept store.  The manager thought I was 15, and when he learned I was only 14, it was only a few months from my birthday, so I just kept on working!   LOL

I worked in other supermarkets as a cashier till I graduated from high school

Was a nurse aide in a hospital after graduation

Got married at 19 and had first child at 20, another at 22, so stayed home with two kids

When I was 26, began working at the Mayo Clinic as a nurse’s assistant.  Did not have to be certified in those days.   Worked there for 32 years till I retired in 1994.

During that time, I had a part time job for awhile.  Did telemarketing for a market research company, asking people about products they had bought.  No selling at all.   I also did telemarketing for AAA, selling memberships and additional coverage if they were already members.   Telemarketers did not have the reputation then that they have today.  We were polite, always thanked them for their time if they weren’t interested, didn’t pressure them and never called more than once.

I retired from Mayo in 1994, and immediately went to work as a sales person at a fabric store.  I really enjoyed that job.   The store closed at the end of 1996, and I then went to work at a mom and pop sewing machine store.   I didn’t enjoy that job as much.  But I stayed there till  August of 2002,  and retired for good.  I was nearly 67 and I figured I had worked long enough!

twocats2004@gmail.com

Find more about Weather in Rochester, MN

#5459416 Report Abuse

trudy1180
    Participant

Was a nanny my Junior and Senior year for children of a dentist family. Graduated and moved to Minneapolis and was a typist at Bureau of Engraving, then onto Twin City Federal where I was first in the mail room and then they sent six of us to learn what back then was Keypunch machines now computers lol. Got married, and went back to work when children were all in school at Tonka Toys and Moulded Products. Got divorce and went back to Data entry at Prudential Ins. and Scientific Computers had two jobs during that time. Just before retirement I worked for Kelly Services at many different jobs all data entry.

#5459485 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I graduated from high school and went to work a week later in an office doing typing and secretarial work. 90% of the work manufactured there was government contracts for the US Post Office making the lockboxes for post offices (po boxes you see people rent to receive their mail in at the post offices), the counter tops in the post offices and any other po equipment needed to function sorting mail or working the windows, etc. I also worked figuring times it took to get the various jobs done (incentive pay) in the factory be it, the assembly line, paint shop, or Lockbox Dept. That was done in a small office in the factory figuring the time the person would have to work to make money on that particular job. I did various jobs in the main office and learned to use the switchboard, would sometimes take dictation from the president of the factory and also typed rate schedules updating all the rate book sets for the job rates out in the shop and often helped out with the payroll. The men/women who worked out there were union workers. Office staff was not and once had to cross the picket line to get into office to work. It was interesting work, varied and learned a lot and worked a lot of overtime there updating the rate books, too. I could walk to work in 8 minutes to that job!

I worked there for a year or more and then took civil service exam and went to work at Alfred State College in the Purchasing Dept. That was 12 miles from where I lived. But a bunch of us took turns driving so it wasn’t too bad. Many of the girls that worked there had spouses attending the 2 yr. courses the college offered. I worked there for a year or so and then went on maternity leave for 6 months and then resigned from the job and stayed home with my family.

I stayed home all the time my kids were growing up. And, when I went back to work my youngest was in Kindergarten. It was temporarily for 6 weeks at Alfred University filling in for gal in the Business Dept. at the college while she was off ill. Then some time later on I began work at the local school district here as cafe monitor and then bid a teacher’s aide job in the Math Center in elementary school and worked that for 4 years. When federal funds were cut I was laid off for a year, and during that year I took civil service exam again, and was first on call back list for office job if one opened up or even in classroom as aide or the Readng or Math Center. Well I was able to collect unemployment benefits for the year I was laid off. I was looking for work in the meantime as I had to while drawing unemployment checks. I called the school business office to see if any job openings were posted for my line of work and the Asst Supt., said strange you should call because one of the office gals had just handed in her resignation and would be leaving and was I interested in interviewing for that position. I said yes, and I knew the person I would be working for and so I called him and scheduled an interview with him. I was offered the job and took it and stayed there 20 years and retired from the school district in 1999. I also bought the year’s time back I had when I worked at the state college so that added to my time on my state pension. The school being down the street on which I live I walked to and from work many days as that is where my office was even though I was district wide employee on the confidential sec’y. job I had and kept the records for all special education students that resided in our district and that we serviced. So it was a busy job, but a very interesting and enjoyable one. And, I was in contact with many people from other school districts, BOCES Occupational Educational facilities, private run schools that serviced many disabled students whatever the need be. So a lot of interaction with teachers, administrators, therapists, county workers in different areas of services they administered.

#5459507 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Hi Karen, wow interesting jobs…. I think the Mayo clinic would have been a great place to work..as for telemarketers.. it used to be enjoyable ..

Hi Trudy, now working for Tonka Toys had to different..

Hi Posy..amazing all you got to do… and had the chance to do… I just think of all you had to learn and learned…..

So far it has been interesting to see what everyone did/has done..

#5459512 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

The very first money I earned was picking strawberries then I was a carhop at a drive in. After I graduated I worked at the telephone company as a long distance operator. Then got married and had a big family, when the youngest was 5 I went to work at Target for 20 yrs. and retired as a cashier supervisor with an ulcer. After my divorce I worked for a Chiropractor for a short time, boring work with long hours and my arthritis couldn’t take it. I was suppose to work part time but put in way to many hours with to little pay.

#5459532 Report Abuse
    fishseddyNYzn5A
    fishseddyNYzn5A
    Participant

This is a very interesting post.

Thanks to all for sharing part of your lives with us.

Hiker, when I was in high school I wanted to get a summer job as a car hop at White Castle Hamburgers – my mother wouldn’t sign the working papers for me.  I thought it would be a cool job.

photo signature_1.gif

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.