Jill~if you are there, can you help me identify this?

Home Forums Gardening Bugs and Butterflies Jill~if you are there, can you help me identify this?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Iambanned 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

I’ve never seen a pink bug before this picture was taken in our yard, recently. I’ve looked for it online w/o any luck. Do you happen to know what it is? It almost looks like a sliver of pink bubble gum. Thank you for any help.

It’s landed on an unopened Liatris along with a bunch of white cotton fuzzy bugs.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Jill Staake Jill Staake.
    #5263919 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Sorry I put this in the wrong category; should have gone to Bugs & Butterflies. I had the hardest time remembering where I put this post.

#5264279 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

First, I went ahead and moved this to Bugs & Butterflies for you, so hopefully some other people will see it.

Second, I think this is some kind of aphid. You mentioned that it landed with “white cotton fuzzy bugs”, which sound like woolly aphids to me. Perhaps this is an unusually colored variant? Again, though, I’m really just guessing. Perhaps someone else will see this post and be able to help.

But, I’d also like to suggest that you try one of my favorite Citizen Science sites, called Project Noah. Project Noah allows you to post photos of critters you’ve found, and ask others to help you ID them. Learn more about it here: http://www.birdsandblooms.com/blog/project-noah/

I definitely hope someone can help us with this ID, because I hate an unsolved mystery! I’ll keep doing a little research on my end too, because I really want to know what this might be!

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5265368 Report Abuse

Iambanned
    Participant

I think it’s most likely some kind of gall. Maybe check out Manzanita Leaf Gall Aphid

#5265586 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Thank you both. I need to keep searching at this point.

#5265608 Report Abuse

Iambanned
    Participant

I found one of these same things on a leaf a couple weeks ago and the Manzanita leaf gall aphid was the closest thing I could find.

Here are a lot of pics of them

https://www.google.com/search?q=manzanita+leaf+gall+aphid&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.