Jiffy pots….?????

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Jiffy pots….?????

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Stelios Stelios 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

I mentioned this before, but did ask a direct question.  This is really the first time that I am using 3” Jiffy pots to plant seeds.  I’ve bought them before, but not sure if I used them.  This year I figured it would be a good way to plant the seeds, and when it would be time to plant them outdoors, I would just slit the pot and plant them directly.  They disintegrate.

Unfortunately I am having a problem controlling watering the seedlings.  The top of the soil looks dry so I water the tiny seedlings.  Sure enough, they wilt…ok, not all of them, but so far at least 10 of them did.  Then I stick my finger, and further down it does not feel dry, but not moist either.  Yet if I touch the pot to pick up, it is soft.

How do you regulate watering them?  Thanks if you have any tips.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5123177 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

That is why I don’t use Jiffy Pots.  They either are too dry or  so wet they fall apart, so no help here.   Sorry

And I find that when you put them in the ground they do not decompose like they say they do.  I tossed some in the compost pile & 2 yr later they were still intact, even after being buried under other stuff.

Don’t meant to rain on your parade, girl.  You might have better luck than I did.  I’m sure somebody will be along who uses them on a regular basis & can tell you different.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5123658 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

I grew large vegetable plants in the a couple of years ago. I actually put the jiffy pot into a plastic pot because they dried out so fast. I would never bother using them again, if I had to use a plastic pot why pay for the fiber pots?

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5123664 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

I didn’t have any luck with those. Many of my Garden Center customers bought potting soil and then planted their seeds in the smaller “solo” cups and soil.  I just wait and buy large plants that are blooming and  have fruit/vegetables on them. I used to plant 22 five gallon buckets, haven’t done that for a few years, I’m going to start back this season :-)

Terry

#5123829 Report Abuse
    KBratnTex
    KBratnTex
    Participant

Never tried the jiffy pots. I still use the toilet paper/paper towel rolls.  Sorry I’m no help.

http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/cgi-bin/banner/ban/wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes&airportcode=K0F2&ForcedCity=Bellevue&ForcedState=TX&zip=76228&language=EN

#5123988 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Well I’ve made a decision.  I will not be buying Jiffy pots again.  I really don’t like them.  I’m just hoping I won’t lose my seedlings this year.  I have lost some.  Thanks for everyone’s input.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5124045 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

Stella, for the seedlings you still have in jiffy pots, I would suggest watering only from the bottom.  The seedling will naturally send it’s roots down to the moisture.  So even if the top appears bone dry, if there is moisture at the bottom, the seedling will continue to grow without the danger of over-watering.

#5124291 Report Abuse
    Kim
    Kim
    Participant

Stella,

While this doesn’t pertain to seed starting with peat pots….I used some of the 3″ peat pots to start some Gladiator and Christophii allium bulbs in.  Wasn’t sure where I was going to plant them just yet, but I wanted to go ahead and get them started so into the peat pots they went!   Since the Gladiator bulbs were so large I was only able to place about 1.5″ of soil in the bottom of the pot, and the tops of the bulb were exposed, but they did fantastic!  Root growth was wrapping around and coming out the bottom of the pots!   The Christophii bulbs did great also! They’ve all now been planted into the garden, peat pot included, and all are still growing away.

Anyway, just an idea for anyone who may be like me - not sure exactly where you would like to plant these bulbs just yet, but would like to get them started.  ; )

Kim

#5124888 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Good idea for bulb planting.  I wonder if I could do that for my smaller dahlia rhizones?

Stella
    Community Team Member

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.