It's National Moth Week!

Home Forums Gardening Bugs and Butterflies It's National Moth Week!

This topic contains 25 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Uni356 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Hey, bug lovers! It’s National Moth Week (yup, that’s a thing!) and I thought we could celebrate with moth photos, stories, and Q&A here on the Birds & Blooms forum all week long.

Moths are NOT just boring brown or white fluttery bugs around the front porch light or eating your clothes in the attic. They are fun, fascinating, and fantastic! This post I wrote for the first National Moth Week a few years ago will tell you much more: http://www.birdsandblooms.com/blog/get-ready-for-national-moth-week/

Hummingbird Clearwing Moth

Polyphemus Moth

I’ll be back every day this week with more moth goodness. In the meantime, add your own photos, share a story, or ask a question. It’s National Moth Week, y’all!

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5266415 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Now I will be looking in the garden to see if I can spot one or two. I believe it was last year (maybe around this time?) when I noticed a couple of huge yellow/golden & brown spotted moths sharing a bit of a love connection in the afternoon;-)  Seriously, they stayed locked together for several hours before they were gone?

#5266422 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Oh, yes, moths and butterflies will stay locked together for up to 12 hours! It’s the male’s way of making sure no one else has a chance to fertilize her eggs. The female often gets bored and flies off with him still attached while she goes about her business. :)

Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5266536 Report Abuse
    Almb
    Almb
    Participant

I believe this moth is called Eumorpha Achemon.

photo Moth3_zps9a056b4b.jpg

photo Moth2_zps80d01288.jpg

#5266563 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Gorgeous capture, Almb! Sphinx moths are all pretty spectacular, but that pop of reddish-pink under the wings of this one is extra special. Thank you so much for sharing!

Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5266637 Report Abuse
    wottwin
    wottwin
    Participant

Can you believe it, I’ve never had any interest in moths and had only really seen them hovering around my porch light at night, then yesterday, after seeing this post, in the evening I saw a butterfly and grabbed my camera to take a picture. It flew away before I could, but then I spotted this. I think it’s one of those hummingbird clearwing moths. What are the odds?

#5266682 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Those are gorgeous shots of a clearwing! They do seem to love monarda (bee balm). And that’s the magic of National Moth Week – spreading the word about the magic of moths, one person at a time! Thank you so much for sharing, wottwin

Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5267021 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Here’s a moth that may surprise you: the Oleander Moth is a wasp mimic (its other common name is “Polka Dot Wasp Moth”). It flies during the day, and the caterpillars feed on (surprise, surprise) oleander. I think they’re cute with their little polka dots!

Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5267356 Report Abuse

nmdART
    Participant

I just raised some Luna moths from caterpillar to moth. I made a public Facebook album. Here is one of the photos.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204110728945678&l=fd78612bda

I am planning to do some artwork of them. nmdART.com

Luna Moth

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  nmdART. Reason: I uploaded the whole album and no image appeared
    #5267373 Report Abuse

Jalene
    Participant

Imperial Moth. One of the ‘Giant Moth’ species and of the silk worm family.

#5267374 Report Abuse

Jalene
    Participant

Ailanthus Moths on Milkweed…
    Ailanthus Moths

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Jalene.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Jalene.
    #5267377 Report Abuse

LaurenA
    Participant
    #5267391 Report Abuse

CindyChris
    Participant

A moth photo I took last summer. I thought he was beautiful.

#5267401 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

nmdART – I love that shot of the brand-new luna  moth! Please come back and share your artwork when it’s ready. We would LOVE to see it.

Jalene – Gorgeous Imperial Moth. I’ve raised those from start to finish and never tire of them. And that Ailanthus Moth is a reminder not to overlook the very small… nature is amazing in all its sizes!

LaurenA – That is a tough call on Promethus vs. Tulip Tree Silkmoth. I’ve looked at your photos and compared them to several from Butterflies and Moths of North America (BAMONA), and I’m still not quite certain. It’s very helpful that you have terrific shots of both wings open and wings closed, though. If you’re really dying to know which it is (and I must admit I kind of am!), you might want to try submitting these photos to BAMONA to ask their opinion. Learn more about BAMONA here, and please come back and share the answer if you get one!  http://www.birdsandblooms.com/blog/attracting-butterflies-bamona/

Oh, and a note to all new Community members: If you need help posting photos here, try this post for more info: http://www.birdsandblooms.com/community/topic/how-to-insert-images-into-posts/?view=all

Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5267409 Report Abuse

Jacqueline
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.