INVITATION TO PROVIDE FEEDBACK ON COMMUNITY

Home Forums Backyard Chat Community Help INVITATION TO PROVIDE FEEDBACK ON COMMUNITY

This topic contains 46 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by Jill Staake Jill Staake 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

So, here we are, about a month into the new website. We’ve definitely had our ups and downs, but I’m glad to say that at least the major technical issues seem to have been resolved, and everyone is able to access the site and post. (If you’re still having any issues with that, please email me at florida33girl@gmail.com so I can help you resolve the problem.)

We know there’s still plenty of room for improvement. I have a meeting later this week with the team at Birds & Blooms, and we’ll be discussing issues that need to be addressed and improvements that can be made here in Community. To that end, I am opening up this thread as a place to provide constructive feedback and suggestions for improvements to Community going forward.

Please do not use this thread as a place to list endless amounts of complaints. Those aren’t really helpful to us. Instead, try to prioritize a few things that are really important to you. I’m looking for concrete improvements that would make this site easier and more fun for you to use. Statements like, “I liked the old site better” don’t really help me. What exactly would you like to see changed here on the new site? Larger text size? An easier way to see new posts that interest you? Be specific, so I can share those requests with the team.

Before you start, I want to mention that we are already actively pursuing a way to bring Private Messaging back to the boards. So it’s not necessary to include that in your suggestions, because we’re already on it!

This thread will be open for your suggestions and comments until Thursday afternoon (2/27). After that, I’ll close it for new comments so I have a chance to review all the replies before I meet with the team on Friday. Thanks in advance for taking the time to share your thoughtful and constructive feedback!

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5100672 Report Abuse
    jcolbert40
    jcolbert40
    Participant

Good idea, Jill. Now if someone could explain ^^^ those things in the boxes, it may help many of us. (Those ^^ are the closest thing to an arrow for me)
    One of the things I miss is the color change on a thread title that signified I had already read it.
    I assume someone is working on the time zone thing.
    Other than those things, I think the new format works pretty well, once you get used to it. The tech crew did a great job fixing the few glitches we had in the beginning.

My name photo Myname.gif

#5100673 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

something that shows I have already read the whole thread

option to quote

copy and paste made better/easier

the top blue subjects put in the forums they belong in instead of on every forum (these are very irritating)

subjects that aren’t spread all over the place, like just have a “flower” gardening and chat in one

will be back as I think, lol

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#5100686 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

I miss two things.

1. The ability to quote someone who posted earlier.

and

2. The ability to preview a post, especially a picture post, before hitting submit.

Thanks Jill for asking and of course for the many times you have already responded.

Overall, things are going well.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5100691 Report Abuse
    steepdrive
    steepdrive
    Participant

I would second the ability to quote so that you can direct your response to a question/comment that may have been posted to you.

I’d like to have the ability to glance through threads and see the ones I’ve read already.

Thanks for your hard work on this.  Can’t have been easy.

photo signature_1.gif

#5100699 Report Abuse
    GiddeyUp
    GiddeyUp
    Blocked

It has speeded up quite a bit and the site is very easy to navigate !  

1. To be able to size pictures in the Reply Box would be helpful …

2. Different size and colored fonts capability …

… … … … …

… a log of this Edit box ? ? ?

* In the post, “Is It Me,” U are returned to page 5 when U reply or Edit …

* In the Post, “Ignore this Post,” and the Prayer Post, U are returned to Page 1 when U reply …

photo 2.gif

#5100702 Report Abuse
    Lair
    Lair
    Participant

Well, since I always point out what I don’t like I should also say I think everything is WAY better than I first thought it would be.  I like the changes you have made and appreciate the speed that things are corrected.  I like almost everything about the board with the exception of posting pictures. Everyone else is catching on but I am a little slow.  It is fun though because I am always surprised when I post one.  Thanks for all the work.  Lair

#5100711 Report Abuse
    Sandy K.
    Sandy K.
    Participant

I would like to also be able to see the threads I have already read. A lot of time is wasted  rereading post that could be used answering others . 

Enlarge the font for us older folks .

I think things are starting to flow better for most now and your doing a bang up job making us all happy Thank you .

Sandy K.

Find more about Weather in Lupton, MI

#5100712 Report Abuse
    flowerpowerz5
    flowerpowerz5
    Participant

Everything is working better and thank you for that. I’d liked to be able to tell which post I have read or answered. Why do we need so many different headings like general gardening and what’s this flower and the gardening picture posts. I like to find subjects on one screen. The gardening pictures is moving along but the other ones hardly anyone replies to. Just something to think about.

Sandy M.

#5100716 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

Thank you for opening this up for suggestions, Jill.  It feels much more like we can be a part of the process in making this site the best it can be, versus something that we just have to make peace with as best we can if we want to stay here.

Like others have said, I also miss the threads being a different color after I have read them.  On busier days, it can get confusing as to what I need to read and what I have already read.  That is a biggie for me.

The time stamps being based solely on the Central time zone is problematic for me.  I would much rather be able to enter my time zone in my profile like we did before, and have the time stamps adjusted to that.

As others have said, the ability to directly quote someone is something that I miss a great deal.  It feels less confusing when when my reply can be directed to a previous poster.

Copying and pasting being made easier would be nice.  I still can’t master that on here.  It doesn’t seem like it should be so difficult.  I did it all the time before.

My only other thing that I can think of is when I want to edit a post, I lose the ability to do that after a certain period of time.  I would like to be able to edit my posts at any time, AND go back to being able to delete  the thing altogether if no one  has posted after me.  If we can do that last part now, I haven’t been able to figure that out yet.  I do know the editing option is gone after a certain period of time now.

All in all, things are going fine enough.  With just a little more tweaking, I think things can be really good!

PilgrimIndiansiggy photo PilgrimIndiansiggy.jpg
    Karen
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5100726 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

Oh yeah, just remembered, what Karen said about being able to delete a thread or a reply like before.

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#5100743 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Across the top of page in the turquoise area are subjects such as gardening, backyard projects, birding, blog, community, etc.

Why do we need that across the top?  If you hit on that with cursor then it lists underneath the subject what is contained within there and have to go back and take it off to be able to continue with reading the topics that have been posted or to scroll down to end of page to start new topic.   To me, it is just in the way and not necessary, and causes one more step to get rid of before getting down to posting and/or replying.

All the forums are listed on the right side of page, so no need to have the subjects at top to be repetitious and distracting.

#5100745 Report Abuse

octgal-pa
    Participant

I have to agree with Flowerpower5.  I think there are more options for each forum than is needed.  Other than that, I commend everyone who was involved with the changes .  Thanks

#5100766 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

To many different places to go. It doesn’t seem to be as enjoyable like it was before.

#5100768 Report Abuse
    smurphee
    smurphee
    Participant

I think the new board is great; however, I would like the option to just copy and paste ANY picture from my computer onto a post (not having to use photo bucket or other such sites).  I don’t know what that would be so complicated, because I can copy pics I’ve posted on Facebook and just paste here, so I wonder why I cannot do that with other pictures.

Only other thing that I liked about the old board that  you don’t have here is “who is on line”.  However, that’s not real important, just a fun thing.

Teresa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘INVITATION TO PROVIDE FEEDBACK ON COMMUNITY’ is closed to new replies.