I'm so SAD

Home Forums Backyard Chat General I'm so SAD

This topic contains 15 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by bratnella_NM bratnella_NM 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

RedRobin_mi
    Participant

My son called me to let me know someone took the beautiful large urn of flowers off my Dh’s grave plus the flag my son put their with the word DAD on it. I went to 3 different places looking at flowers then went the next day looking for the best one only to have it taken 6 days later.

#5151717 Report Abuse
    shortbreadlover
    shortbreadlover
    Participant

the cemetries here clean off the grave sites a couple of days ofter the holiday. but they let yhou know when they plan to do it so you can go and get the flowers ifyou want them

#5151723 Report Abuse

jaguae
    Participant

So sorry that happened..people have no respect…

((( Hugs )))

#5151724 Report Abuse

OhioLilacLady
    Participant

I am sorry this happened, RedRobin ~~~~ I don t blame you for being upset .

I have heard of this happening around here also and I think the person who does such a thing is pretty low.

SBL, are you saying that cemeteries in your area only allow flowers etc. on graves during holidays ?

Marilyn

#5151726 Report Abuse
    Carol Johnson
    Carol Johnson
    Participant

so sorry,,, some people are just pain mean ..

x_3d759b92 photo x_3d759b92.gif

#5151736 Report Abuse
    bwatcher
    bwatcher
    Participant

Our cemetery only allows flowers to be placed in urns, on the stone, or out of the mowers path. After a certain time period anything left out in the way is moved back out of the way or removed completely. Nothing can be planted without permission first.

#5151739 Report Abuse
    Nickle98
    Nickle98
    Participant

Our local cemeteries only allow things to be put into the built-in urns on the markers and other permanent things like a shepherds hook if it is permanently set in the ground, for any length of time.  Anything after 10 days is removed if it is beside the marker and discarded regardless of what it is.  They usually have a copy of their rules for you to have and it is your responsibility to read and know them before placing anything on the grave-site…..and usually post a big sign at the cemetery entrance informing you of the rules, too.  This is to help them keep the cemetery mowed and maintained.  Smaller cemeteries may not do this, however.  Each cemetery is different and it would be a good thing to ask about it, just in case.  There ARE thefts many times, however, and some people just don’t respect others property regardless of where it is.  One lady was caught stealing from graves by a hidden camera and her defense was that it was going to be ruined if it was let outside, so she took it home to preserve it.  She got jail time and a big fine anyway.

#5151811 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

In the cemetery where my late DH is buried we can put plants in front of the headstone and I do.  This year I put petunias just in a line in front of the stone, probably 6 or 8 of them.  Then I have a pot of flowers on each side of the marble headstone.  There is a place to put a matching urn on each side of stone off the ground.  I didn’t ever buy the matching urns.  I figure if I don’t get the pots off in Fall, they remove them and they are a plastic pot anyway.  I did at one time have a set of light green large urns there and when I went to get them one was cracked due to rain and freezing so I didn’t replace the urns in cemetery.  Also, there is a military flag on the gravesite the Veteran’s organization puts on yearly.  He has a military foot marker on the grave, too, having served in the Korean War (conflict) whatever they want to call it.

Some people are so cruel taking things off graves.  There is damage in many cemeteries in all areas.  Even the headstones get knocked over with people just being so mean and uncaring.

Sorry that happened to you, Red Robin.  I can see why you are sad and more so, mad.  Is there anyone you can report complaint to that will be aware that things taken from the grave and that is happening in the cemetery?   People who do this stuff have no conscious whatsoever, IMO.

#5151929 Report Abuse

RedRobin_mi
    Participant

My 2 sons both reported it to the township office and they said this happens more often than ever. They said they think it’s coming from the trailer park next property over, but they can’t prove it.She said they had reports where someone took the whole shepherds pole plus the flowers.

They are starting to get a little more strict as to what you can put out because people will leave cans of beer at the grave sites and they get complaints of it, different stupid things. They do tell you when winter grave blankets (Christmas) have to be removed or they will do it. So far we can leave flowers , planted or in baskets on hooks or beside the stone.

#5151949 Report Abuse
    bwatcher
    bwatcher
    Participant

I remember an elderly Irish lady that was a caretaker for the Catholic cemetery outside of town. She didn’t mince words and she shot straight from the hip and called it like she saw it. She said one day a vehicle kept driving real slow through the cemetery, around and around. She wrote the license number down and then went up to the vehicle and said, “If you’re planning on stealing something I just want to let you know that I already wrote your license number down and if something comes up missing I’m gonna give it to the sheriff.” That car took off and flew out of the cemetery like you shot at it. She said she never saw it again. They had been told that there was a suspected thief stealing stuff from cemeteries and then reselling it in a town 35 miles away across the river.

I know how you feel, I had it happen to me. I went early and put a flower arrangement on my mom’s grave for Mother’s Day. When I went back on Memorial Day it was gone. I’ve even heard of people pulling planted flowers out of the ground also.

#5151960 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Awww! So sorry that happened!  Like someone said, maybe it was the cemetary mgmt.  I would certainly call them & check on their policies about that sort of thing.  Maybe inb the future if they remove after only a few days, they should let you know if you wish to come claim it!  Maybe kids steal that sort of thing.  HUGS!

#5152077 Report Abuse

RedRobin_mi
    Participant

No, it wasn’t the cemetery people because several other grave sites has flowers on theirs. they think its someone from the trailer park next to the cemetery.

#5152079 Report Abuse

RedRobin_mi
    Participant

If I had the money I would buy a great big flower arrangement and put it on dh’s grave and put a motion camera up in the tree to catch the thief.

My son found the flag, it was on a old rusted pole and backward. Wasn’t there when he was there before. So it looks like kids pranks.

#5152083 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

I am sorry that happened… people are so cruel and thoughtless.  But let it happen to them and I bet they would be screaming to high heaven.

I have had it happen at my parents cemetery..that is why I don’t put anything there. I used to put a bird feeder there but I can’t keep it filled 70 miles away.. so I brought it home..

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5152085 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Very sorry to read this. Some people have no respect at all and if it’s a kid I don’t know what satisfaction they get out of that.

photo 123.gif

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.