I'm refinishing two small antique side tables.

Home Forums Backyard Chat General I'm refinishing two small antique side tables.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  joan1___Alabama 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

joan1___Alabama
    Participant

I bought a small side table that need some refinishing to put in my living room and display my moms antique “Gone with the Wind Wheat and Roses Lamp.”

I’d never tried to refinish anything before but it is really pretty easy and it looks great!   I’ve striped it, and put the new finish and now just need to put the  clear poly on it to protect and make it shine. 

Dear Hubby found a small drop leaf table that fell out a truck and brought it home and I’m refinishing now too.   Top will have to be sanded, and clamped and glued to repair it and then refinish it.  Can’t wait to get it done.   Will only get it started today though as DGD has softball tournament tomorrow.

Have a Great weekend everyone.

#5136726 Report Abuse

gabbygirt_oh
    Participant

DH likes to refinish items. Says its relaxing.

#5136744 Report Abuse
    Wendy
    Wendy
    Participant

Refinishing is fun isn’t it? I find it relaxing too. :)

#5136752 Report Abuse

OhioLilacLady
    Participant

Good for you, Joan ~~~ I am sure your tables will be beautiful when finished .

I love to paint or stain most anything even tho’ I don t do things often anymore.  I do want to get a coat of protective stain and coating on my park bench and glider (both outside).

I am sure you will enjoy your tables for years to come ~~~

Marilyn

#5136763 Report Abuse
    Sandy K.
    Sandy K.
    Participant

I used to do Stripping &  Refinishing back in the day now I have moved on to building . It’s so relaxing and the finished product is well worth the time put into them . You should post a picture for us I would love to see your work . Your hubby lucked out picking up that table for you , I’m sure your going to have fun with it .

Years ago I  was in a friends barn and came across a cabinet which he told me to take home . I stripped 16 coats of paint from it . Remember that mustard yellow & puke green everyone painted furniture with lol. Anyways I got it down to the wood ,gave it a good sanding and a clear coat .During the process I found it was put together with squares nails & dove tail drawers . I later found out that it was a cabinet they used back in the early 1900 for storing dishes and silverware and was worth a pretty penny . Not that I would ever sell it .

Moral of the story is if this is something you like to do keep your eyes open at sales and thrift stores and you can find some great stuff to recondition .

Sandy K.

Find more about Weather in Lupton, MI

#5136771 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Well that sounds like a neat project.  I love seeing things all redone and repurposed… how lucky to find a table … we have pick up this next couple weeks in the local small towns, and the things you can find are amazing…

Enjoy it..

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5136798 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Wow!  Sounds impressive!  I am sure it will turn out just great!  Would love to see it!  Sandy, would love to see yours!  I have refinished a few things (both old & new) also. Very gratifying!

#5136896 Report Abuse
    Carol Johnson
    Carol Johnson
    Participant

Would love to see pictures when you are done…and Have fun at the Grand-daughter’s tournaments…

x_3d759b92 photo x_3d759b92.gif

#5136963 Report Abuse

calgal_NV
    Participant

Sounds nice. :) I have gotten an itch to redo my front porch. Right now I have a tall bird house out there that has seen better days. It says “Welcome” on it. I’m going to put it out with the garbage and maybe someone will see it and refinish it for themselves. I’ve just had it for so long that I want to change things. So, I am on a mission to find a rocking chair at a thrift store to refinish and put out there. I want to hang my 4×4 barn quilt that I just finished recently out there, too, and get some pretty flowers to put in a pot. I’m in the mood this summer to sit out on my front porch and read or watch the world go by. :)

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  calgal_NV.
    #5136985 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Good job to do if you like that sort of thing.   Refinished items usually turn out very nice.  Don’t usually see any items along the road to grab up.  But there are many sales people have that are downsizing & have living estate sales or sales of nonliving members to settle estates now, too, and many have old items that are nice to bid on.

Here we have no pick up unless we call and schedule one and some of the big items to dispose of require $10.00 for each item when it is by roadside for pick up.   Some years ago we used to have 2 pick ups a year to get rid of all the accumulated junk people had and no longer wanted be it furniture or whatever.  Could keep up cleaning out spring and fall then.  Now they no longer have those so have to pay someone to haul stuff to the dump unless family member has a dump pass and a big truck of their own.  And, we pay monthly garbage fee for garbage and recycleables to be picked up, but it doesn’t include trash pick up twice yearly anymore.  They claim they don’t have enough money for it anymore.  I say raise it a quarter a month for everyone that pays garbage fee and at the end of the year the quarters would add up and pay for the trash pickups.  They don’t want to to it.  They would rather have you buy a dump permit for $150.00 for a year to haul your own trash.  That is a sizeable permit cost on top of regular garbage fee.  Some people have both; others just have one or the other.  The dump permit used to be $60.00 but of course, increased like everything else.

#5137438 Report Abuse

Just Mari
    Participant

Please post pictures! I would love to see the results. Did you happen to take ‘before’ pictures?

#5137875 Report Abuse

joan1___Alabama
    Participant

To answer  your questions  NO  I didn’t think to take any before pictures of the table but it was all scratched up and had blotches on it where the paint had faded or worn off.  So far I’ve only done one of the tables, since DGD had the softball tournament.  I’ll try to get before & after pix of the 2nd one.

I don’t use a site to store my pictures and since we can’t just use “cut and paste”  don’t guess I’ll post any pictures  Unless I can get my daughter to do it from her face book pages.  

Unfortunately I wouldn’t know how to post a picture on  here anyway.  I’d never figure out the URL  since even the good photographers like Sharon, Carol, Cliff, etc sometimes have problems.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.