If you find a young bird that has fallen from a nest.. What to do??

Home Forums Birding General Bird Q&As If you find a young bird that has fallen from a nest.. What to do??

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  txhummers 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

trudy1180
    Participant

Will post answer next week.

#5067991 Report Abuse
    theLark_IN_5
    theLark_IN_5
    Participant

Most of the time just leave them alone and the parents will care for them on the ground. If they appear to be in danger of cats or other harm, you might be able to place them on a branch just to get them higher off the ground.

photo larkiegif.gif

#5096343 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Put it back in the nest if you can… otherwise leave it alone…

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5096694 Report Abuse

txhummers
    Participant

We always recommend:

1) if the bird is obviously not ready to fledge (flight feathers undeveloped) then put it back as close as possible to the nest.

2) if the bird is obviously ready to fledge then it is probably learning to fly, and so leave it alone but watch closely to ensure predators are not causing distress.

Mark

Bastrop, TX

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by  txhummers.
    #5097767 Report Abuse

trudy1180
    Participant

Well you all gave the right answers. But here is what I have in my book .

Yes, try and put the nestling back in the nest if at all possible. If a fledgling is found hopping around on the ground, it should be left alone if it is in a safe area. It can be placed up on a tree branch or in a shrub if it is in dangerous situation but must remain in the same area so its parents can find it. Birds have an underdeveloped sense of smell, so handling the baby bird will not cause the parents to abandon it. Young birds often leave the nest before they are capable of flight. They spend a few pre-flight days  hopping on the ground and flapping their wings. The parents are usually close by keeping an eye on it and feeding it when necessary. During this time the fledgling is learning valuable survival lessons from its parents.

#5098321 Report Abuse

txhummers
    Participant

My answer to the person who says “if I touch a young animal the parents will abandon it” is “would you abandon your child just because it smelled funny?”  Amazing how their attitude changes.

#5098485 Report Abuse

trudy1180
    Participant

So true txhummers. Was nice to see your post, I recognize very few on here anymore, and I remember you from the old board in the day.

#5099340 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

I like this chart: good information plus a little humor!

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5100274 Report Abuse

txhummers
    Participant

For that final one in red Jill, I always ask people when was the last time you saw a baby jump up and run across the floor the first time he tried.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.