I haven't posted cuz didn't want to bore you but

Home Forums Backyard Chat General I haven't posted cuz didn't want to bore you but

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by ILUVCHICKODEES___MN ILUVCHICKODEES___MN 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    Participant

With my “date night” with  my 92 yr old widowed friend.

I have been going to the classic car roll ins for wks now.  And because of the flooding in town, instead of the 4 min drive it took me 25 min to go around.  I would leave from work (6 miles shorter)

He calls me every time the night before “I sure hope you can make it”… almost always SOMEONE drives his car there.  But last night he drove alone.  Apparently, none of his family could make it.

We walked around and looked at cars… then he wanted to buy me “lunch”…. to me supper.   He always buys us each ONE beer…. ok… sometimes 2…. first one we have to “click” together.  We had a good “lunch”.

Then of course he has me drive his car down main street to show it off (Like everyone does).. I get so scared cuz what he has brought are BIG.  We stop at the kettle corn vendor… he always gets me a bag… I thought we were ready to go when he asks me if I wanted an icecream cone.  I was SO full but the look in his eyes… I say SURE!  We stand in line for GOOD  icecream…. we leave that building, find a park bench… watch people (OH we “click” our cones too.. LoL)  he looks at the people… he looks at me…. takes a taste of his cone… looks at me and says.  ”Life is good”… melted my heart!  I didn’t think I’d ever hear those words come out of his mouth after his wife died…. Made it all worth while!

Just had to share.

#5264807 Report Abuse
    doobiedoo
    doobiedoo
    Participant

awww-life is good for him because of good people like you! so nice of you to spend time with him. your a good girl chicky!

#5264822 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

Neat night. Thanks for sharing. Alma

<*)~// Tealbird

#5264823 Report Abuse
    shortbreadlover
    shortbreadlover
    Participant

how sweet. everyone regardless of age needs someone to care about them

#5264824 Report Abuse
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    Participant

I had to parallel park that long Lincoln… I accidently drove up and over the curb!!!  I said “I’m sorry!!!”

He laughed and said “no problem… now I know the shocks still work”…. LoL

It took so long to get a cone and it would get dark soon.  I was concerned about his driving alone let alone at night so I called to make sure he got home ok… he did! :)

#5264829 Report Abuse

OhioLilacLady
    Participant

Awww, ILUV, share about your dear friend anytime !!!  He seems so appreciative of the time that you spend with him and it sounds as if you re making happy memories for him as well.

I think it is wonderful, the time you are spending with him and he  obviously enjoys your company or he wouldn t as you to go with him each time as well as treat you so well.

Go, enjoy the time with him and I ll listen to your stories anytime ~~~~ ;)

Marilyn

#5264830 Report Abuse
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    Participant

I do enjoy it too!

You should see him when we cross the street…. he puts his arm out in front of me a lot cuz a car is coming!!  And I often go to open a door for him and he budges in front of me to open it for ME.  Then when we were done with “lunch”.. … and have to-go containers he always insists on carrying them…. he’s just so darn sweet!

#5264831 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

When I moved to town – the man next door – would come home from seeing his wife – but she had alzeheimers – he was so worked up and would come where I was gardening. Helped him unwind for 20 – 30 minutes so he could relax and go to his home.

Then he would come over to see what I needed – he had a tool for that.  We had 8 years to do things together. Geri died 6 months before he did.  But not been able to communicate with him for 7 years.

He reminded me of my dad. He had been a mechanic for GM cars and won many awards in the service. So many things he taught me that worked on the sewing machines.  He had bought a newer machine  – used, from me – and had shown me the tool roll up carriers.   Many evenings he would say – lets get a sandwich and go for a car ride.And we had to take his ‘Long Car’  so I know that feeling.

He and Geri had installed many garage door openers and knew where people lived.

Spent many hours looking at his WWII pictures and stories. He taught me to like cats. We often watched the news and his Bermese Cat would climb into my lap and sit. That was a first for me.

he was so worried that he might have to go to a ‘home’ and often talked about it. As he aged he found comfort that I would call – or he would call me 2-3 times a day. And as the end drew near he called more often.  But I had just gotten my MG and couldn’t walk over untill the meds got increased.

Had realized I would be the Designated  Finder.  One AM he didn’t answer. I called again and then went over. He had  a massive thrombosis sitting on the edge of he bed. He then tipped to the side and landed on a pile of laundry.  Later a neighbor across the street knew his light had come on that AM at 7. So he had been there about 1.5 hours and cold.

What to do. Then I remembered I was to call the Funeral home and they would take care of things. They knew to call son and SIL of DD. She would be hysterical. so I didn’t have to do that.

When it was all said and done I went home. But every where I went – there was something he had helped me fix, showed me how to fix – or bought me when I took him shopping for groceries.

When SIl and BIL either one came to help me fix things – he would have the tool we needed – and knew right where it was – basement or LR. We called it the east shop.  I finally got a big box of tissues, the journal and a glass of water.

In two hours I had written 9 pages – between tears and blowing nose. It was all of the blessings I had recieved because the Lord put me beside him.  Yes – I only looked at that one house!!!

Sorry this got so long. DD walked into his LR and there were 2 tables where he fixed door openers. She said – well you both like to fix things – I know why you are friends.

Good night. And ILOV – you are a good friend. I understand!

<*)~// Tealbird

#5264850 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Iluv……….I think you are the sweetest person to do this…

You too Tealbird.. life is so short.. make someone happy while you can because tomorrow they might not be here…

I applaud you both…

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5264855 Report Abuse
    bwatcher
    bwatcher
    Participant

Lisa, This man is a GENTLEMAN and has manners. He was taught well. He holds a door for a lady; he carries her packages; he puts himself between her and traffic. This is what real men are supposed to do.

When my DH and I were first dating we came out of a building and he was on my right because he had opened the door, and all of a sudden he was gone, and the next thing I know he was on my left; I was confused. We were now walking down the sidewalk. I asked him why he did that, and he said a gentleman never lets a lady walk next to the street and car traffic. OKAY, news to me. We have been together 35 years and he still walks on the street side and opens doors for me, and thinks I can’t carry much.

I’m sure “life is good” because he was mentally back in the day when he had a beautiful lady by his side, and a beautiful car to drive. Life is/was good, but it was also a lot simpler then.

He’s a happy man when he has someone to share his joy with. I hope you realize just what your company means to him. You might want to stop and think about what he’s doing for you also. You don’t have your dad in your life and I know you miss him. Maybe this gentleman is filling the void that happened when you lost your dad, and you are filling the void of his missing wife. Maybe you both need each other equally. There’s no such things as coincidence, maybe the good Lord brought you two together for a reason.

#5264858 Report Abuse
    Nickle98
    Nickle98
    Participant

SO GLAD to read about your ‘helping’ your old boss!  What a pleasure you are giving him in his last years!  That is ‘so special’ of you and for you to do and I, too, honor you for your willingness to share his life that is now so empty and he needs you.  Alma is doing much the same thing as she can, in her own life and has helped ME as well.  So, I now pass it along and also help others in my age group; my 5 widow ladies and others too….when I can.  My Daughter is helping ME here, as well and I cherish my family.  THANK YOU  for sharing these ‘special moment’s’ with us!  God Bless You!

#5264881 Report Abuse
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    Participant

Awww….. Tealbird :)

Mary hubby does that street thing too!  I just found out about it last summer when we have our date night (Friday nights).  He told me that very same thing.

#5264933 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

Elderly people are my favorite people. When that generation is gone, we sure will lose a treasure. Yes, there are polite people who are younger, and even in the youngest generation, but it is not the same. I love the politeness, the respect, the wisdom of (most of) those who went through tough times and losses and perhaps poverty…they understand integrity, honesty, faithfulness and understand what it means to have had a work ethic. They also know how to be a good neighbor, and have an understanding of community that I doubt will ever be experienced again.

I work with the elderly, but am on a leave of abscence due to a back injury (displaced vertebrae, which is so very painful) I miss my last client, she was the sweetest person, and she would pray for me! I called her not long ago, she is now in a nursing home in another city quite far from me, so I can’t visit her.

Give that friend of yours an extra hug or pat or whatever you are comfortable with for me. I am sure he is a blessing to you, too.

Linda Z

#5264946 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Awww!  That was so sweet of you to meet him all the time like that!  Not everyone would do this.  My df would be 91 now if he was still alive.  What happened w/ anything re the job offer at his employment?

#5264975 Report Abuse
    Resa_NS
    Resa_NS
    Participant

I never get bored with your posting about what you and your BBF are up too, (hope I did that right supposed to be best boy friend?) wish we were closer so you could Help Bill Or me!!:) Your a sweetheart,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.