I am so upset

Home Forums Gardening Veggie Gardening I am so upset

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by margba margba 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

with myself I could cry.  Since I went back to gardening 6 years ago once the gardens were planted I have done a walk about every morning until this year.  It has been about a week since I have been out to the big vegetable garden.  Just went out a little while ago and one section is heavy with weed which didn’t surprise me.  This is the area I planted 3 dozen Italian paste tomatoes.  The ones I was hoping to get a big crop from.  It seems that the potato bugs decided they were a good meal.  I have 16 good plants left.  The rest are nothing but stems.  Once the sun is off the garden I will be out there in full force spraying everything.  I was so angry I was squishing everyone I saw with my hands.  I don’t have potatoes planted this year but did last year and if I never plant a potato again it will be too soon.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5265691 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Oh my Bette…I am so sorry this happened to you.  Yes, the bugs have control the minute they have a chance.  It’s like they know the veggies are not supervised….for a better word.  Same thing happened to me with my pink roses.  When I left for Toronto, the JP were not to be seen.  When I came back  a week later, all those pretty pink roses were overun with beetles.  To get me even angrier…they were busy working on the next genration.  I did the same thing as you….although I wore gloves…I squished every single one of them  Yes, there are more, but not as many.\

Not much we can do with the insect world.  They have been on this planet for millions/billions of years.  They are here to stay.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5265697 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Oh, no!  So terrible & sorry to hear!I have jap beetles chewing up my eggplant leaves!  Grrrr!  Also getting some blight on a lot of my tom plants!  :-(  I guess its a trip to the nursery to buy some organic insecticide spray asap!

#5265708 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I heard there was early blight on tomatoes.  That was on the radio recently from the lady at the county cooperative extension office that is on once a month about gardening of any kind and all the rest that goes with it.  Bugs, deer, etc.

It is so hard to have a garden to reap crops from with the bugs, animals, diseases that seem to take over in no time.

I have had deer in the yard here pigging out on the lilies, hostas recently.  Hoping the bears don’t drop by.  There are many around lately between here and Pennsylvania.  One lady had 3 in her yard in PA I talked to; she thinks the coyotes are chasing the bear out of woods into the town she lives in and so they are into the yards.  Her birdfeeders are destroyed and she said at 9 in the morning they are there.  She has never seen them that late in morning eating until this year.

Sorry for your disappointment with your tomatoes, Betty.  I did see a few beetles here recently and last year there was none at all here.  Not as many as I have had before fro the beetles; think the bad winters have something to do with it or the wet springs drown them.  That is what happened last year I heard.  I guess all we can do is hope they don’t destroy everything.  So much work and then to have it wiped out is so discouraging.

#5265711 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Usually I keep the bugs at a minimum but now working 5 days a week just don’t have the time I used to have.  Guess I need to add another hour to my work time at home.

For those of you that are concerned about blight.  Liquid Copper Sulfate is an organic defense against it.  Once I get the bugs under control I intend to start spraying my tomatoes with that in hopes of now more problems.

photo signature_3.gif

#5265726 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Thanks for tyat info about copper sulfate!

#5265734 Report Abuse
    dena1123
    dena1123
    Participant

What a darn shame!  Sorry to read about that, Bette.  I know your feeling all to well.   Sometimes it just seems to be a never ending battle and there are times that no matter what, you just can’t squeeze that extra hour out in your day, especially with you going back to work.  Don’t you do the community plots too?

Thanks for the reminder on the Copper Sulfate.  Just went and dug mine out of the garage and plants are getting sprayed tomorrow.

#5265785 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

I know a lot a people don’t like using pesticides but the first sign of any plant getting munched on I get out the sevin or other (mala something) and that usually takes care of any bugs for most of the summer.

I picked a few tomatoes and cukes today. I’m not even sure what blight is but the vegetables all looked good.

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#5265910 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

I didn’t spray last night.  By the time I got around to it and the sun was off the garden it looked like it was going to rain anytime so no point in spraying.  I will get it done today.

Kathy, I use sevin also.  It is fine as long as you have enough days before you plan on harvesting and also if you spray in the evening the bees are in the hives by then and by morning it won’t harm them.

photo signature_3.gif

#5266001 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Kathy, blight is when the leaves on say, a tomato plant turn yellowish & brown spotted.  Can hapoen at any point during the plant’s maturing.  You need to pluck those leaves off asap, and then spray an organic fungicide or the copper sulphate on the plants very soon.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.