I am so upset

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat & Pictures I am so upset

This topic contains 20 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by narnian narnian 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

that I could cry.  I have a propane tank leaking.  I have lost almost a full tank of propane.  Now I understand why I have been having headaches etc.  But worst of all why I have lost so many seedlings.  Many are so susceptible to pollution.

The tech just left and it seems when they detached their filler hose from the tank the loosened up a fitting causing the gas to leak out.  I am freezing right now as I have windows open where no plants will be affected and the ceiling fans running to try to clean the air out in here.

Have a call into the company for the cost of the gas they just put in and no charge for the service.  This should be interesting.  It sure messed my day up and didn’t get much done on working in the dirt except to realize how many plants I have lost.

photo signature_3.gif

Member of Community Team wildernessny@gmail.com

#5375347 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

Sorry, not a good way to start a week. Glad you still have a house. Alma

<*)~// Tealbird

#5375352 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Oh, wow! Glad it wasnt worse for you but so sorry about the plants!  Hope you keep checking carbon monoxide levels.

#5375362 Report Abuse
    flowerpowerz5
    flowerpowerz5
    Participant

Glad they caught it. Your life is more important than plants.

Sandy M.

#5375376 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

When ours leaked… the gas company said the fitting was lose.. Well it is their tank and they maintain it… I told them in no uncertain terms that they would be fixing it and refilling it or I would call my lawyer.. They fixed it and filled it… especially since it was their tanks and fittings.. not ours…

Sorry this happened but so glad you are ok……. a plant can be replaced, you can’t.

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5375395 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Isn’t the fitting outdoors?  Ours are…..the only thing indoors is where it hooks to the furnace and they never touch that when they fill it.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5375397 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

They actually admitted that they loosened it when they filled the tank so I can’t see how they could charge you for the leak. I am just happy that your house didn’t blow up! And I can understand you having headaches too.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5375405 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

If the fitting is outdoors (and I’m assuming it is unless, they come inside to fill the tank)  then how would it affect your plants or you.?  It doesn’t have any smell?  I don’t have a propane tank so I don’t know.   I do know it is dangerous & can make you sick if not dead.  How did you discover the leak?

Either way it sounds like it is their fault so they should replace all that was lost at no cost.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5375423 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Bette sorry you have to go through this. Just as already mentioned, I’m glad you found out what it is and that you are okay. As heartbreaking as it is, I’m glad the only thing you are replacing are the seedlings.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5375426 Report Abuse

Sawfirsthummerage2
    Participant

I am sorry for your hardship.  I hope you get the cost of the propane taken care of by the responsible party.

It is well after the fact, but please be careful with turning on electrical items, ie your ceiling fans.

It made sense to want to air the house out quickly, but even with the windows open, it was a risk with causing a minor spark.

Sympathies on losing your seedlings.  That was a lot of love and care you put into those plants.

#5375434 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

So sorry, Bette!

photo signature_1.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5375441 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

At least there is time to replace a lot of your seedlings, just a lot of work.

#5375449 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Looks like another new member.  That’s always good news.   Welcome  Sawfirsthummerage2.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5375474 Report Abuse
    tinaintn7
    tinaintn7
    Participant

Bette, Im so sorry this happened. It seams when something like that goes wrong, it messes up your whole day. Stand your ground with them, make them make it right. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

photo tina1.gif

#5375483 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

Hmmm…If it was leaking by the tank where they fill it then it would be leaking from the fitting outside.   Bette it does not make sense unless it was leaking by the house where the air vent is located, and they don’t fill it there, so how did the gas get inside the house??  Most tanks have to be 25 feet or more away from any building because that is building code.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.