Hydrangea bushes grew ok this year but no flowers

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Hydrangea bushes grew ok this year but no flowers

This topic contains 8 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    dysfan
    dysfan
    Participant

Last year they were falling over with so many blooms! I think the winter was too harsh.  What needs done besides acid fertilizer?

#5276064 Report Abuse
    Malcspaige
    Malcspaige
    Participant

Hydrangeas flower only on old wood, if you cut it back last year its all growth this year and no blooms.

Malc

#5276087 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

I had 2 and thought they winter killed. But later one of each came up. One is only 12″ tall and has a big bloom on it and 2 more buds..

In Iowa we have to leave the old stalks so we can see where they will come up. But we have only new wood each year to have blooms.

<*)~// Tealbird

#5276091 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Some Hydrangeas bloom on both new & old wood.  You have to know what kind you have & then research it.  However I have heard a lot of people say theirs’ did no bloom well this year.   A cousin had a lot of winter kill in his & had to prune them back severely so not many blooms this year.

I have a couple of Forever & Ever which are small bushes.  They only get about 3 ft tall & I didn’t realize that when I bought them.  They rarely bloom.  I am moving them to a different spot next year, give them a year to settle in & if no blooms they’re history.  Now my Pinky Winky bloomed well this year but no pink in the blooms for the 2nd year.  The Incrediball bloomed well but the blooms weren’t as pretty or as big as last year.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5277390 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

It is true, there are hydrangeas that only bloom on new wood and some that only bloom on new wood. If you know your variety you can google pruning……hydrangeas and that will tell you when they need to be pruned. I have so many it is hard to remember which ones I need to prune when so I end up having to check them in the fall and again in the spring.
    Some of mine were late blooming this year but they finally did all bloom…when they were supposed to.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5277641 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

All I know aboyt hydrangea blooms is that there are some specially bred varieties that are “ever-bloom”, bloom all season, every yr w/o too much effort on the gardener’s part.

#5277700 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

I cut mine back to late in the winter but I was surprised to see quite a few blooms on the lower branches, still pretty. If I trim the whole bush in late January I get the whole bush to bloom.

#5277897 Report Abuse

There are basically two types of Hydrangea. Blooms on old wood and blooms on new wood(or both).

H.  macrophylla,  which bloom on old wood. These include mopheads and lacecaps. Oakleaf Hydrangea also fall into old wood category.

New wood Hydrangea include the Annabelles, and the Pee Gee (paniculata Hydrangea) . These are typically white and can be pruned at anytime.

Other paniculata varieties like “Endless Summer” also fall into this category.

To change pink to blue, ‘Aluminum Sulphate’ is a wonderful product.  Understand that you cannot turn white to blue.

Ron (Michigan Certified Nurseryman)

http://www.gardening-for-wildlife.com

#5279636 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Dysfan…what zone are you in?  I am in zone 4 and the only hydrangeas that bloom for me are the ones that bloom on new wood….the 2 varieties that Ron mentioned.  There is NO WAY a bush survives the winter here, so one that blooms on new wood is a must have for me.  When Endless summer 1st came out, they were advertised as blooming on new or old wood….now they admit that isn’t true.  Consequently, I have 2 bushes that haven’t bloomed since the 1st year I got them.  I do believe i will share them with someone in a warmer zone.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.