Hummingbirds in NC

Home Forums Birding Hummingbirds Hummingbirds in NC

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  txhummers 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jesse0345
    Participant

I live in Henrietta,NC.I have hummingbirds that showed up about two weeks ago.I only have one hummingbird feeder.I saw on here where you need to have more than one feeder,because one hummingbird will dominate it,and I did not know that.I guess you never get to old to learn something new.I will have to get another feeder and put it in a different place.I have noticed that when it gets summer time that they don’t try to keep one another from drinking from the same feeder.I wander why they do that.

#5139884 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Hi Jesse, welcome to the forums…

I have four feeders out.. in all different places.. so that there is little fighting.. place one where the others can’t see it… works good for me..

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5139893 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Hi Jesse!  Welcome!  I have only seen a few hummers here, sadly enough!  But i also gave up the hb feeders cuz I only got ants, it seemed!

#5139930 Report Abuse

Jesse0345
    Participant

Thank you CatsBirds.Will do.

#5139932 Report Abuse

Jesse0345
    Participant

margba.Here is what I do about the ants.I have one feeder on the porch rail.I mounted it with a flower pot hanger,and I spray Canola oil on the hanger,and the ants can’t get to it.They try to,but they get stuck in it.Hope you will try this,because you  can buy you one hummingbird feeder and try it.

#5141995 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Jesse, good idea about the canola oil!  I might try that!  Do you havevto use canola oil spray or would any spray type work, like Pam?

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by margba margba.
    #5142450 Report Abuse

txhummers
    Participant

I would not recommend using any aerosol spray near birds, nor would I recommend using a vegetable oil on the hangers.  Birds of all species tend to use wires for perches, and I have seen many birds hang from the wires we use to hang our feeders.  If the wire is coated with oil, the bird is likely to slip, potentially causing injury.

To avoid ants, use the simple ant moats available at most bird supply stores (and I might add built in to most hummingbird feeders) or build one with the cap of that aerosol can.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.