Hummingbirds have not returned. . .

Home Forums Birding Hummingbirds Hummingbirds have not returned. . .

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mommafinch 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

HummerLuv7
    Participant

We saw one hummingbird in mid-April but it never came back. Last year we had quite a few different types but the feeders are unused now (May 31, 2014). (Yes, I’m making sure the feeders are clean & the nectar fresh.) We live in central Virginia. Has anyone else experienced a loss of hummingbirds in their yards? We have lots of flowers planted that are known to attract them. What can we do to encourage their return?

#5149180 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Our hummers returned a couple of days early this year… and different types would have been great as the only ones here are Ruby throated… as for getting them to come back.. not much you can do… keep the feeders out… right now I have counted 7 here.. and waiting for little ones…

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5152321 Report Abuse

JSong
    Participant

Has there been new development near you?

That’s what happened here & there are less hummingbirds here now. :(

#5152435 Report Abuse

HummerLuv7
    Participant

Have not seen one since mid April. We planted more flowering vines and are continuing to keep the nectar changed. Fingers crossed that they’ll still come back.

#5152927 Report Abuse

mommafinch
    Participant

I had 2 females and 1 male return in May.  I usually have more.  We had a very hard freeze late spring here in Northern GA mountains.  Many of us have experience a shortage of hummers.  I do have babies now coming to the feeders, so I currently am counting 8 or 9.

Has the experts written about the unusual low hummer sightings and the cold weather spring? I’ve been watching for something.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.