A Hummingbird Swing Gives Tiny Fliers a Place to Perch

Updated: Mar. 23, 2023

Hummingbirds like to perch near feeders and sometimes just need a place to rest! Add a hummingbird swing for perfect photo opps!

Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.

hummingbird swingCourtesy Sheryl Robinson
Hang perches, like a hummingbird swing, near sugar-water feeders for hummingbirds to rest.

The first time I saw a hummingbird sitting still, perched on a hummingbird swing, I was astonished. I don’t know why—logic tells us these little creatures need to sit and rest just like any other living thing. Somehow, though, I guess I’d only ever noticed them at feeders, with their little wings buzzing away at 50+ beats per second. Seeing them sitting still seemed the opposite of what I’d always thought of as their very industrious lifestyle.

But hummingbirds do most certainly perch on their diminutive feet (which is about all those feet are good for), whether for preening, resting, or guarding a nearby feeder from rival birds. And perched hummingbirds make for great photos ops.

Where do hummingbirds sleep at night?

hummingbird swingVia Merchant

You can add perching locations around your own feeder to attract hummingbirds, giving you the chance to take fantastic photos of these tiny fliers. If your sugar-water feeder hangs from a shepherd’s hook, chances are good that hummingbirds already perch there. You can also tie a tree branch or two with the leaves stripped to your feeder pole or nearby. Some birding supply companies are also offering hummingbird swings.

Shop Now

276676632 1 Erin Liles Bnb Bypc 2021Courtesy Erin Liles
Handmade hummingbird swing

Here at Birds & Blooms, we didn’t have to look far to confirm that hummingbird swings do indeed attract hummingbirds. Reader Erin Liles shared this photo (above) of her design. If you’re a little bit crafty, you can also make your own with this DIY project.

Or you can easily fashion your own hummingbird swing from materials you may even have on hand. I made one from some heavy gauge wire, a bamboo garden stake I cut down to size, and some red and clear beads I had on hand. It’s probably worth it to try to add some red to your hummingbird perch. We all know how much these creatures enjoy that bright hue! My finished project is simple but should do the trick hanging near a hummingbird feeder.

Add the top 10 red hummingbird flowers to your garden.

306960984 1 Linda Patrick Bnb Pc 2022Courtesy Linda Patrick
Male ruby-throated hummingbird perched on a swing

Unfortunately, summer is the wrong time to try to see hummingbirds in central Florida. They’re mostly still too far north, however, I do get the occasional visitor. Soon, though, I’ll be putting out my feeder to attract hummingbirds during migration. My swing will hang nearby and get a good test drive then!

Next, learn everything you need to know about hummingbird nests.