How to save snapdragons over the winter?

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As How to save snapdragons over the winter?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Owllady 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Lilac
    Participant

I planted a bunch of beautiful snapdragons in a container this year and I want to enjoy them again next summer.  I really don’t want to buy more next year.  If I  were to bring the container indoors over the winter and sit them by a window, could they be saved?

#5159612 Report Abuse
    Donna
    Donna
    Participant

Hi Lilac, this is what I found for you. Hope it helps. :)

Because snapdragons naturally thrive in cold conditions, it is possible to overwinter them in certain climates. If you live in a milder region, the whole plant may overwinter if you cover it with a substantial amount of mulch.

Why Overwinter?

Overwintering can be handy if you don’t want to plant new flowers or seeds next season. Dry conditions are also helpful if you want to overwinter snapdragons outdoors.

Sometimes, snapdragons will overwinter on their own if they are planted in a protected area. Again, this only works in milder regions that have warmer winters. This method seems to work especially well if you let the flowers seed late in the season.

How to Overwinter

Another method if you live in a very cold climate, is to plant the snapdragons in containers and keep them in an unheated area against the wall of your house. Place the plants under lights during the winter and control the humidity.

Although snapdragons are considered annuals, overwintering can help them survive into the next season. This may save you money on replanting while also making your life easier.

Donna_Canada_Z_5

#5159716 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I save seeds and start new ones, but if you aren’t a seed starter, that would be difficult.

Donna has some good information for you!  I hope you can save them.  What zone are you in?  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5265471 Report Abuse

Here in SW Michigan, overwintering naturally is better than 50%, even with this past winter, because of the thick snow insulation.

If you have them in a pot/container, might I suggest you plant the pot in late fall. With the rim slightly above ground level. This way they are taken care of naturally, with moisture, insulation, etc.  Once the plant Has died back, feel free to put a layer of mulch on top.

In early spring, remove mulch, and when the plant starts to grow and tempd warm some, lift the pot.

Ron

http://www.gardening-for-wildlife.com

#5267555 Report Abuse

Owllady
    Participant

I live in Western New York and still have snaps growing from the originals I bought three years ago. I just put them in a pot and let them go to seed. They’ve been turning up in several pots. It’s fun to try to guess where they’ll show up next! I put the originals on the upstairs porch, and I even had a few turn up in a pot situated down the driveway.

Where I live they seem to be tenacious. I sure got my money’s worth from that six-pack I bought three years ago!

I just move the pots up against the house over winter, don’t even mulch them.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  Owllady.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.