How not to photograph eagles

Home Forums Birding Your Bird Stories (aka Bird Tales) How not to photograph eagles

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Junior Barnes Junior Barnes 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Magnolia15
    Magnolia15
    Participant

For a couple of weeks there were three Bald Eagles perching along side a bridge over the Wabash River. It was a perfect opportunity- they were close and right at eye level. Every time I went over that bridge they were there. I waited in agony for a sunny day so I could capture that scene and finally the day came. It was a sunny Sunday morning, about 15 degrees outside, and as I drove across town toward the bridge all kinds of thoughts raced through my head. What if they’re not there? Of course they’re there. Should I drive over the bridge and make a u-turn to see if they’re there? No, I’ll just park downtown and hoof it over to the bridge. I walked a couple blocks in the freezing cold until I finally reached the bridge and… they’re not there! Perfect! I’m standing there with all my gear and I realize that traffic is slowing down to see what the professional looking (probably National Geographic) photographer is looking at, so I figure I better make it look good and set up my camera. As the cars were slowly passing by I was looking through my lens at nothing, and working the focus ring back and forth when it occurred to me, what if the eagles are at the other end of the bridge and all these cars are slowing down to laugh at the idiot with the camera!?!?! That’s when I spotted them about 500 yards down stream in a place I’d never seen them before. I fired off a shot and high tailed it out of there, and I haven’t seen them near that bridge since.

-birdsofthebog.com

#5121995 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Good one… where along the Wabash do you live? 

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5122011 Report Abuse
    Magnolia15
    Magnolia15
    Participant

Hi Sharon, Lafayette, IN.

-birdsofthebog.com

#5122483 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Ah nature… half the fun of photographing it is the challenge of being there at the right time, but sometimes I do wish we could just schedule a nice photo shoot with the creatures, you know?

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5122842 Report Abuse
    Magnolia15
    Magnolia15
    Participant

There was a raptor exhibit at the bog last spring, got a lot of amazing shots that day. Wish I could schedule some warblers this spring, just line em up on a branch!

-birdsofthebog.com

#5124666 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

LOL, good story. Lining warblers up for a photo shoot? That would be great!

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.