How do you determine the sex of baby Eastern Bluebirds?

Home Forums Birding General Bird Q&As How do you determine the sex of baby Eastern Bluebirds?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Lady Bird Lady Bird 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Lady Bird
    Lady Bird
    Participant

Is it that only females have the white eye ring?  I’m thinking this is a female.

photo BabyBlue_zpse879dfa4.jpg

#5149231 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

I don’t have a clue , I just wait until they grow up…

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5149237 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Males have more blue on wing and tail… than the females…. just read that..lol

#5149238 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

http://www.sialis.org/eablbio.htm

… all about bluebirds.

#5149240 Report Abuse
    Lady Bird
    Lady Bird
    Participant

I went to the Sialis site and didn’t see the answer.  Not sure if it wasn’t there or I just didn’t see it.

#5149258 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Oh sorry… well here is what I found..

. You can sex baby bluebirds at about 11-12 days of age. You can tell males from females by the amount and quality of blue in the emerging wing feathers. Lots of cobalt blue: male. No blue, or just a bit of dusty turquoise: female. And then you have to leave them alone, because after 12 days they’re liable to boot out of the nest when you handle
    them, and you don’t want that to happen.

#5149275 Report Abuse
    Lady Bird
    Lady Bird
    Participant

Thanks!  These babies fledged today.  They hatched on 5/13.  I hope to see them at my feeder in a couple of weeks.  I’m surprised I couldn’t find photos on the internet of what male and female babies look like.

#5149782 Report Abuse
    dena1123
    dena1123
    Participant

How adorable!  Lucky you. I have one lonely male that keeps showing up to the box and I thought the other day he may have found a mate.  No dice because it’s back to just him now. He is very bound and determined but no takers for a mate.

I actually am just thrilled to have a bluebird hanging around.  This is the first year that one has tried to use the nest box.  So, I guess I’ll just have to settle for seeing them.

#5151271 Report Abuse
    carross
    carross
    Participant

That is one beautiful picture, thanks Lady Bird.  I too have blue birds around (male) don’t know where he is staying, I have houses up but not seen any by them.  Yesterday he was at the back feeders, so I waited until he left and then put out some mealy worms.  Haven’t seen him since.

Carol

#5151392 Report Abuse
    Lady Bird
    Lady Bird
    Participant

We are blessed with a pair of bluebirds that have been nesting in our yard since 2011.  At first they used a bird house that was meant to be ornamental, it had no door for cleaning and no vents.  We threw that one away when they were done with it, bought the same exact one and my husband modified it so it had vents and a door for cleaning. Still, it wasn’t the ideal place for them so we left their last nest in there so they wouldn’t go back to it and bought a house that was made specifically for bluebirds, mounted on a pole with a raccoon baffle to make it predator safe and they nested there.  We added a second nest box about a year ago and they like to alternate between the two.  They are currently on nest #3 of 2014.  They wasted no time after the babies fledged.  I hadn’t even had a chance to clean the house they had just used due to rain and within 2 days they were building a nest in the other nest box.  So far this year 9 babies fledged (4 from the first brood and 5 from the second.)  I have a feeling that none from the first brood survived.  It was still pretty early in the year and we had terrible weather for a few days after they left the nest.  I’m hoping I’ll see the babies from the second brood at my feeders soon. Here is a photo of Mr. B & Lady Bird (now you know why I chose that name for posting here.  I just love this pair of birds!)

photo MrBandLadyBird_zpsc3f7df27.jpg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.