How are the fruit and veggie prices in your area ?

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat How are the fruit and veggie prices in your area ?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Posynut_NY_zone4 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sandy K.
    Sandy K.
    Participant

I notice when I went shopping this past week that the prices of fruit are coming down . Blueberries were 89 cent a # and peaches 99 cents ,corn was 20 cents an ear but what really surprised me was banana’s at 52 cents a # ,they were over 60 cents the week before . How are prices in your area ?

I was beginning to think I would have to start eating my flowers lol.

sandy k

Find more about Weather in Lupton, MI

#5270013 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Since the vegetable stand across the road closed this year due to the theft of everything last fall including 50+ pumpkins and they actually tore the money box from the stand, I haven’t bought many veggies this year, DD paid 10 cents an ear for corn last week at a stand, and I haven’t really paid much attention to the prices in the store. I have been eating my tomatoes and peppers until I had to slow down on them..they were saying enough is enough! I cleaned out my crisper drawers this morning to take that stuff to the beach, when I get back I will find out just what the prices are in the stores.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5270019 Report Abuse
    bwatcher
    bwatcher
    Participant

I think the reason the fruit prices are coming down is because they are coming into full harvest season. This is when they flood the market . These plants weren’t in full produce mode and they were just supplying the little bit that was ready. Now, it’s all coming ready at once and the glut will hit the market. Now’s when you buy for canning because you can get more at a cheaper price.

We get our bananas at the Kwik Star and they are 39 cents a pound. A couple years ago they were only 29 cents, but then it took the 10 cent increase, but it’s still a cheap snack. They also offer the ripe ones in a bag if you want to make something baked with bananas.

#5270035 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

The prices here are coming down a bit.  I buy fresh fruit every week and it all depends on the week of what is the cheapest.  Now this week peaches were $1.69 lb. and next week the produce manager told me they were going to be .99 cents a lb.  big savings, but then Georgia peaches will be coming in.

I saw one road side stand the other day, that had everything free on it.  Must be an abundance of veggies.  My girlfriend gave us a huge squash… she said she had at least 30 of them coming on…wow… and tons of green beans.  So I guess the cooler weather didn’t hurt too much around here.

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5270047 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I haven’t really noticed.  I don’t buy much fresh veggies or fruit.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5270054 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Bananas here are 49 cents per lb. daily at either Save A Lot or TOPS Market.  Fresh pineapple is on sale daily at TOPS all cored and in plastic container and just have to slice it.  Fresh corn on cob is $4.00 dozen, and most of their fresh  veggies are locally grown in Eden, NY near Buffalo.  I bought leaf lettuce recently.

I buy from a veggie stand close by me and he grows his own corn and many veggies.  I haven’t been there yet, but need to check it out.

We have had peaches for awhile and some were Georgia.  We always wait for the PA peaches that are good.  We buy a lot of fresh fruit when in season.  And, always a lot of canned fruit for pantry, too.  I just froze blueberries my DIL picked last week.  They are in abundance here this year and harvesting now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.