Homegrown tomatoes!

Home Forums Backyard Chat General Homegrown tomatoes!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Posynut_NY_zone4 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I went to veggie stand after my hair trim and bought NYState homegrown tomatoes and 6 ears of homegrown corn.  So I had goulash, tossed salad and corn for supper.

Now I will buy some bacon and have BLT’s.  I like tomatoes every day they are in season Aug-Sept. and eat them almost daily.  I have a tomato-green bean salad I make, too.

Then went onto Walgreen’s and back home so my errands done for this week.  I hit Dollar General yesterday for what I needed there.

Going to do some reading now.

Just went out and looked when I was closing sun room up and the sky was black clouds in several places so looks like rain.  All day we had showers off and on and strong winds.  Still is blowing hard tonight.  Reminds me of stormy weather of some kind and the fall/winter upcoming the way tonight’s sky looked.

#5273926 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

We had one of our tomatoes today… on BLT’S…. boy were they good….

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5274011 Report Abuse
    Nickle98
    Nickle98
    Participant

‘Home-grown’ tomatoes are THE BEST!  The commercially grown one’s have NO flavor and aren’t worth buying.  Goulash and Chili are wonderful when you add the home-grown and home-canned one’s to the dish and give it a flavor no other kind can give.

#5274058 Report Abuse
    Resa_NS
    Resa_NS
    Participant

I picked 6 yesterday, they are ripening on my window sill, lots more on my patio plant. Can’t wait, I drizzle them in olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt & Italian seasoning, easy tasty side dish,

Toasted tomato sandwiches!!! Yum, My dad would dip his in the sugar bowl and eat them like an apple,

#5274066 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I always liked them with salt on them, but I know people did eat tomatoes with sugar on them.  I like them anyway when they are in season.  I think I may have myself at one time.

My MIL used to add the home canned tomatoes to her veg. beef soup when she made it and it is so tasty with that added to it.  So different than the store-bought tomatoes in can.  She always made a big pot of soup for me when she made it, too.  My DH loved her soup.  I never did get her recipe but think my niece might have it and will ask her as she makes it, she said.  I must remember to do that!  LOL

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.