Hey! What's Up?

Home Forums Gardening Veggie Gardening Hey! What's Up?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  albertagran 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    steepdrive
    steepdrive
    Participant

Just finished working in the garden.  And harvesting.

Can’t believe all the peppers I’m getting now.  I must make some stuffed peppers tonight and freeze them for later.  My freezer is filling up full of tomatoes and tomato sauce too.

More can be seen here.

What have you been harvesting?

photo signature_1.gif

• This topic was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by steepdrive steepdrive.
    #5278532 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Yummy… I have tomatoes, bell peppers, and cukes… and they are doing very well… made stuffed peppers last week…

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5278589 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Wow!  Looks awesome, Steep!  I so miss my little garden back at my old place!  I would be getting tons of peppers by now, not to mention my zukes, cukes, toms, eggplants, parsley & other herbs!  Hope that old @#(?&= neighbor, Crystal, is enjoying it all now!  NOT!!!  Lol!  She’s getting it all, reaping the harvest of my hard work & $$ s!  Grrrrr!

#5278788 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Steep, you garden is certainly performing well for you.

Marg. sorry you are missing out on all your hard work. What a bummer.

Sharon, sounds like your garden is doing well.

I have basically given up on mine.  Working almost full time and taking care of DGkids has not been a good mix with gardening this year.  I have been able to maintain my flowers in baskets and containers quite well but am afraid the vegetable garden has suffered dearly.

My peppers at the community garden are doing well.  Also the celery is looking good.  I will soon be pulling the onions there as the tops are dieing fast now.  I am sure I will have another picking of green beans this week and will pull the plants as I pick and get that bed ready for next spring.  Have gotten a few heads of broccoli so far and there are a couple more about ready to pick.  For some reason lost all my cauliflower plants when they were young.  The green cabbage and Chinese cabbage are heading up but the cabbage worms are getting ahead of me.  Tomatoes are a lost cause and that is my main crop.  Looks like I will be buying a couple of bushel to can. However the patio tomatoes I have on the deck are producing for me so am at least eating fresh tomatoes.  I need to find a new place to plant my basil next year.  It is growing at the community garden but gets too much sun there and is getting leaf burn.  Pickling cucumbers should be giving me some by next week.  They are loaded.  The slicers have lots of blossoms but haven’t seen any cucumbers forming.  Zucchini have mostly male blossoms and what fruit has set is rotting from all the rain we have had when they are about 2″ long.

Will have a different plan of attack next year.  Now that I know the kind of hours I will be working I will be able to plan in advance a little better.  However, I can’t do anything about mother nature.  It seems it likes to rain on my days off so no garden work and having less than 10 days the entire summer that the night time temperatures have been 60 or more.

That’s my story and I am sticking to it.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5278842 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Oh, gosh!  Very sorry to hear about your gardening travails, Bette!  Didnt realize you were helping out so much w/ your dgks! Wow!  Big plate there!

#5278878 Report Abuse

albertagran
    Participant

My cukes are getting out of hand. Today I made a gallon jar of refrigerator yum-yum pickles. Still lots left. Ted’s two dipsey cousins are coming over tomorrow to raid the garden so I know they will take some for sure. His one cousin is an entertainer -79 years old- sings dixieland jazz, and when she is in the garden she sings…… really cute. My neighbors love it. Got lots of beets and carrots too, so they will be happy.

#5278973 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Steep great looking harvest there. Bette so sorry you haven’t had a great gardening year but at least you are getting some goodies. Wish you lived closer to me. I have given away quiet a few tomatoes this year and frozen a lot as well. Even froze more then I usually do but just hated to throw them away.

My peppers have done great this year as well as my tomatoes. My cucumbers done ok but not as good as usual but I still had way more than I needed. Even asked on Facebook for anyone that needed some cucumbers but not one taker. Squash done well also.

Still have something in my garden to look forward to besides the peppers that are still producing like mad as well as my late tomatoes. But look what I’m growing this year for the first time in many years.

And this is a bull horn pepper that my nephew in Ohio sent me seeds for. Its a really sweet pepper. May be sweeter than a red bell pepper.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#5279254 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Steve, great looking melon & pepper!  Wish I could have some of that melon!  :-)

#5280235 Report Abuse

belle_pa
    Participant

Yesterday I saw the dg’s had cut the sunflowers and taken them in for the chickens to have scratch for a while.   It’s always such a chore to cut them and store to dry thoroughly that I had told them they could just leave them to the birds.  The kids love their chickens and treat them like babies.  They even lift the duck out every day to the outside run and give her a fresh water pan to splash and then at night lift her back.  She cannot seem to find the chicken ramp and window that they use as a door.

The chickens are a big part of our veggie gardening as they eat the bad tomatoes and provide the manure.  They eagerly await any edible weeds pulled and vegetable scraps.  This week a few chickens got out and headed to the garden.  Dil phoned in for me to send out the 7 yr old gd to help getting chickens in for they were after the peppers.   The little girl grabbed a chicken in her arms and carried it.  These kids did not grow up on the farm.  This is all new for them since dh’s brother died and they came home to live.  She was a pretty brave little girl.  Her big sister who is 20 came in yesterday without the eggs because she had to reach under a chicken.

#5280321 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Lol! @ belle’s chicken stories!  How many do you have & how many eggs do you typically get?  If chickens are getting out too often, you may have to top off the pen w/ chicken wire!  Wish I lived cliser to you!  Woukd come buy eggs from you!

#5280330 Report Abuse

albertagran
    Participant

Not too much to do today – couple loads of laundry and tidy up the house and then I am going to grind some more raw beets t0 freeze for borscht. Tomorrow will be busier. Jackie is taking me to get groceries and then we have to take Ted to his Geriatrician for another assessment. 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.