Help! Something's eating my kale, and it's not me!

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Help! Something's eating my kale, and it's not me!

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Tigsy 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Tigsy
    Participant

Does anyone know what is most likely to be eating young kale plants? They’re only about 6-9″ tall, and whole portions of the leaves are nibbled away. Slugs? Japanese beetles? Nothing in sight….  Thanks for any info/experience anyone may have. This is the first time I’ve grown kale.

#5270367 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Do you see any white tiny butterflies in that area?  The cabbage moth may be munching away.  Another thought is to check the underside of the leaves….are there lots of white flies there?  Just throwing a couple options at you.  I hope a true vegetable gardener stops by to give you more info.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5270390 Report Abuse

Tigsy
    Participant

Thanks for your thoughts, Charlene — yes, we have cabbage moths, and it didn’t dawn on me right away that kale is a member of the cole family. Duh.  (In fact, is that why those two names are so similar? Kale and cole?)  I’ll check in the morning for any white flies. Too dark out there now!

#5270523 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Mine got ate to the ground last year by stink bugs. I’m getting ready to plant me a fall crop and am going to cover them and then I can put plastic over to have them into winter. Cleome drew in the stink bugs last year so I’ve been yanking every single cleome out where they self-sowed from the neighbor’s yard. Also bunnies will munch kale down too!

#5270527 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Could it be rabbits?

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5270552 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Small holes or more like a chomp?

#5270610 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Sounds like rabbits or even mice, yes last year I had mice in my garden cause I kept finding small holes in everything and then I saw his fat butt waddling down the row and he looked back at me. LOL

#5270612 Report Abuse

Tigsy
    Participant

Charlene — I checked the underside of the leaves — no white flies. The leaves look rather like they were sprinkled with an acid — holes here and there.
    Skippy, I don’t think we have stinkbugs. And I’ve got a pretty good fence around the garden — the bunnies would’ve already eaten my beans, carrot tops and probably the broccoli, which also has some holes in the leaves.

Smallish holes, Marg, rather than big chomps! I did see a long-legged white spider on the underside of a broccoli leaf, but I’m not concerned about him. In the past I’ve had lots of problems with slugs, but it’s been so dry this year, I don’t think it’s them.  They’ll eat my rhubarb leaves. Any other ideas?  Should I try a fall crop like Skippy? We’re in northern Illinois.    I appreciate everyone’s thoughts.

#5270627 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Earwigs?

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5270698 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

I am going to do a fall crop even if just in containers!  Just learned & saw that we have chipmunks here!  Noooo!  They are cute though!

#5270724 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I think the small holes does sound more like earwigs.  You need to go out at night with a flashlight and then you will know for sure.   Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5270748 Report Abuse

Tigsy
    Participant

Thanks, guys, I’ll check for earwigs. But not tonight, it’s raining!  At least I know what they look like (ugly). Next question is….what do I do to get rid of earwigs? Guess I can get some idea by googling it. Thanks to everyone.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.