HELP!!! ADVICE NEEDED.

Home Forums Birding Feeding Birds HELP!!! ADVICE NEEDED.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by dena1123 dena1123 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mamascats
    Participant

Afternoon all,

I hope this finds everyone well an din good spirits.

We are recovering once again from a snow storm…..I am SO ready for spring and  getting to play in the dirt.

As you may know I live in VA. We have several acres and we feed pretty much anything that has fur and feathers. We use 100 pounds of corn per day for our deer. They are happy and well fed fur children. I also go thru at least 20-35 pounds of birds seed per day for our  feathered children. They also get suet, chunky peanut butter, dried meal worms, unsalted peanuts, shelled peanuts etc…. The past few days we have been bombarded with several LARGE flocks of Speckled Starlings, Grackles and Red Winged Black Birds. To say we have several hundred is an understatement. I will NOT hurt them but need to know if they will be moving along soon. If I stop feeding then my normal feeders will suffer… any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Blessings,

Deb

#5108049 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Yep, tis the season.  I have them here too.  They do move on but  I can’t remember just when.     I’m thinking early Spring.

Check this out

http://www.birdwatchingdaily.com/getting-started/coping-with-grackles/

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5108226 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Deb unfortunately they are here too and probably won’t leave here till well into June.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5108240 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Mine are gone before that Steve.  Maybe they come to you.  LOL

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5109066 Report Abuse
    carross
    carross
    Participant

Deb,  Do you get newletters for Birds and Bloom?  The March 3 letters tells about bully birds, check it out, if not let me know and I will try to copy and paste.

Carol

#5109549 Report Abuse
    dena1123
    dena1123
    Participant

When I notice the Bullys  are in town, I switch my Boss over to feeding only safflower seed.  Nyjer is also a good one too.  I just happen to prefer not to feed Nyjer beause of the thistle issues.

It seems to help keep the bullys at bay.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.