Has anyone ever been thru a tornado?

Home Forums Backyard Chat General Has anyone ever been thru a tornado?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  surferdude_FL 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    margba
    margba
    Participant

We dont get that many big ones around here in PA, but they do come thru in various spots in PA,  Last summer there wad a confirmed EF1 tornado in the town next to here — Paradise, PA.  I did think a small tornado came thru here last summer at the time of the one that hit in Paradise, PA last yr!  I do feel tornadoes often hit the same areas that they have come to bf efore!  I just cant imagine those biggie ones like they have in the south & the midwest!  It was scarey enough going thru the smaller ones here that only did minimal damage!

We are having severe tstorms & heavy down pours off & on today!

#5263931 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Marg, I hate to say it but I have been through 3… yep 3 tornado’s… scariest things in the world, and you can’t get away from them… long stories… but yes I have been …

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5263939 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Oh, Sharon! Glad you survived to talk about it!  Want to hear more about it!  We are more likely to get bad hurricane effects or the nor’easters here!  Even the hurricanes arent usually direct hits, but bad enough just the effects of a hurricane!

#5263945 Report Abuse

albertagran
    Participant

I don’t usually post here, but yes I have been through a tornado and a hurricane. We had a big tornado here in 1987 which went through Edmonton and killed 27 people. One of the most terrifying experiences in my life, and I was home alone with my dogs. The other worst day of my life was in Hawaii when Hurricane Iwa hit Oahu. It was the day we were suppose to fly home and the hurricane hit the airport bending all the windows and took the roof and ceiling off. Airplanes were being flipped over on the tarmac. It was unbelievable. So I have had a couple breezy experiences. Every summer now I watch the sky, and if it turns greenish brown I take my radio and go downstairs.

#5263949 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Oh, gosh! Albertagran, that must have been so frightening!  Glad you made it thru both those experiences!

#5263966 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Hurricanes & flood but no tornadoes.  I think they would be scarier but over faster.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5263998 Report Abuse
    carross
    carross
    Participant

Yes,  I have been thru 2, one went right over my house, it was April 3, 1956.  It was just like 100 trains going over, so loud and dark.  Another one was in 19??  can’t remember that date, but I was in a car, never seen the tornado, but seen the aftermath.  NOt fun don’t want to see another.

#5264036 Report Abuse
    Bonitading_NJ
    Bonitading_NJ
    Participant

3 that I can remember. Storms are just my thing. Last one we had that I remember was when my kids were still at home in school, I sent them to the basement and I went out to enjoy the breeze.  LOL I’m a danger to myself when anyone mentions storms. Been hit by lightning when I was around 8 and I think it did something to my brain that made me a daredevil. I’ve also been kicked off beaches during hurricanes by beach patrol one time too many. :)  I miss good storms, we don’t get them where I live in the mountains, just a lot of crappy rain and flooding and too much ice and snow. Not real exciting.

#5264052 Report Abuse
    jcolbert40
    jcolbert40
    Participant

We had one here in 1983, but I didn’t even realize what it was.  My DH was a vol. fireman and went out on the first alarm, and didn’t get home for almost a week!  That was a busy time for the fire dept. with all the utility crews and police people camping out at the firehouse…and someone had to feed them…

I don’t think any lives were lost, except for someone on a motorcycle when a tree came down on it.  Not sure if he survived his injuries.

I do remember my dog acting strangely, trying to crawl under the couch, just before the fire alarm sounded.

My name photo Myname.gif

#5264066 Report Abuse

OhioLilacLady
    Participant

Oh, how well I remember my first tornado and I was only 7 years old.  We lived on the north edge of town and grandma lived on the south side.  My dad, 2 uncles and my 3 brothers had been putting a new roof on grandmas’ house (all day).  When suppertime came, they all (including the aunts and grandma) came to our house to eat. 

The south end of town turned blue/black and green and we could hear/see the storm from our front windows.  (Never a drop of rain in our end of town) All of a sudden, dad realized he saw grandmas’ new roof floating over the church about 5 blocks away from our house.  Crazy !!!

Later, we all went to see grandmas’ house and yes, her new roof was gone and the upstairs of her house in shambles as was the entire neighborhood so the rest of that summer was spent rebuilding grandmas’ upstairs but PTL, there was no loss of life in that storm but trust me, I NEVER forgot what a tornado was or the damage it could do in a heart beat.

The second encounter with a tornado was on Easter Sunday 1965.  My (now) DH and I were coming home from a family dinner about 30 miles away at my DBs .  About 1/2 way home, it started to storm and the sky turned very dark yellow/green.  We were about 10 miles from my house when we rounded a curve in the highway and a Sheriffs’ Deputy was stopping cars and telling the people to go to the next house into their storm shelter; that a tornado had been spotted where we were going. 

We only had to go a short distance (maybe 1/2 mile) and went in the shelter with these farmers.  We were only down there , maybe, 1/2 hour or so and when the man said we could go up and out of the shelter, the first thing I saw was that the enormous barn was GONE.  Only minor damage to the house but if we hadn t been IN the shelter, we would have been driven right into the tornado itself.

There was a family of 5 locally killed in that storm as well as extensive damage.

When we went out to the country, later that evening, to check on some friends, Dad pointed out to me a long strip of straw sticking thru a telephone pole.  I have never forgotten that !!!

I would much rather go thru a tornado than a hurricane or blizzard as they can do damage but it is over pretty quickly.

I still love a good old fashioned thunderstorm and steady rains but always keep an eye to the sky and react accordingly.

Marilyn

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  OhioLilacLady.
    #5264072 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Wow! Amazing stories!  So glad that those of you who have shared your tornado stories, are still here to tell your tales?  Marilyn, cant believe your Grandma just put on a new roof only to have it blown away by a tornado! So scarey!

#5264219 Report Abuse

octgal-pa
    Participant

A matter of fact. we just saw one on Sunday just north of Binghamton, NY.  We couldn’t understand why cars were stopped on the side of the road until we saw the funnel.  It passed to the east before we got up the road further.

#5264235 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

According to the TV news last night 6 tornadoes hit in central New York State just recently.  The most recent the TV told about was the one in Watkins Glen, NY that was a designated tornado.  The others were between Utica and Syracuse, NY.   Many happened last Friday through Sunday.  I cut the one clipping out of the paper to send to my niece in Iowa because her sister lives in Utica, NY area.

We have had a lot of straight line winds before which are damaging.  Also, tornadoes have been sighted in our county but in areas away from us.  Also, some between here and northern PA which is 10 miles south of me.  Sometimes they just seem to hit certain areas when the tornadoes come through.

#5264242 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Octagal, that must have been something to see that funnel!  I think that is near where Judy lives!  Posy, heard that on the news about NY!

#5264243 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

I grew up in southern Indiana…several times tornadoes went over us or hit around us. The worst one was in 1974 when I was 17. That was the year that for 18 continual hours there was tornado activity from 148 different tornadoes with 319 people killed in several states.(Remember Xenia, OH?…destroyed that town).

We did not have a cellar, and when it was really bad weather we would go to the church across the road.

I saw a tornado only once…that was in Fort Wayne in 1981 (I think) it never touched ground though.

We also had a tornado in 2001 …my son saw billboards and all kinds of things just blasting towards him while at a stop light. He was right where it touched down just a few minutes after taking shelter in one of the stores at a shopping center.

We had one go through just a few weeks ago.

I really do not like tornadoes!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.