Growing info for Schizanthus

Home Forums Gardening Garden Pics Growing info for Schizanthus

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 6 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I know that because of Leslie’s pic, many of us are trying this flower this year.  I recall Gayle saying that hers were flopping over and wondered why.  Mine didn’t flop over, but they were getting tall and gangley, so I did a search and found this info.  I guess I should have nipped them a couple times earlier.

Quick Schizanthus Growing Guide and Facts

Common Names: Butterfly Flower, Poor Man’s Orchid, Fringeflower.
    Life Cycle: Half hardy annual. Hardy biennial.
    Height: 16 to 40 inches (40 to 100 cm).
    Native: South America.
    Growing Region: Zones 1 to 10.
    Flowers: Spring, summer and/or autumn.
    Flower Details: Red, yellow, white, pink, purple. Multicoloured. Speckled. Blotched. Orchid-like.
    Foliage: Lobed. Fern-like.
    Sow Outside: 1/8 inch. In warm areas sow seeds every two weeks from early spring until mid-spring, and in the autumn. In cooler areas start seeds indoors. Spacing 10 to 30 inches (25 to 75 cm).
    Sow Inside: Germination time: one to three weeks. Temperature 65 to 70°F (18 to 21°C). Two months before expected last frost. Transplant outdoors a couple of weeks after the last frost; temperatures should not drop below 41°F (5°C).
    Requirements: Full sunlight. Soil pH 6 to 7. Good drainage. Loam. Fertile soil. Regular light watering; avoid getting plant wet. Provide support. Pinch tips twice, once when the plant reaches about three inches (8 cm) and again at six inches (15 cm).
    Miscellaneous: The common name for members of the Schizanthus genus is given because the flowers have a butterfly-like look.

more info here

http://www.gardenershq.com/Schizanthus-Fringe-Flower.php

photo 100_1493.jpg

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.