Ground cover

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Ground cover

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by MDgreenery MDgreenery 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

bfaris
    Participant

I have a bank that needs something done to it. I had ivy growing, but evidently it loved the shade and since the trees have been cut down the ivy is dying. I’m looking for a solution as to what kind of ground cover would be good to use there. It faces west and is pretty much full sun all day. There is a little but of early morning shade, but not very long. I’ve tried mulching, but when it rains it just washes off the  bank and into the ditch below, so I feel that is a waste of time and money. Can someone give me any ideas as to what would work well in this area? The summer months can get pretty hot. Thank you for any advice!

#5148997 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

The vinca is good.

How large of area is it?

There is a vine they use along the highways – but it can be invasive in small areas.

<*)~// Tealbird

#5148998 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

Crownvetch has a little pin/lavendar tiny bloom. It looks like a minature sweetpea. OR that is the way I remember it.

Had to help DH learn that at ISU. But that is history for the last 20 years. Celebrated Freedom and Frugal this month!!!

<*)~// Tealbird

#5149003 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Someone planted thyme, and it worked well.  What started out to be a small patch now covers the entire hill.  One of our members posted a picture so we could see how easy it is to grow.  This is a very low plant, but the flowers are very tiny and pretty.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5149041 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

The Vinca vine tends to becomes very invasive. IMO

I have creeping phlox on mine which also faces west.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5149067 Report Abuse
    dena1123
    dena1123
    Participant

I like Gayle’s idea with the Creeping Phlox.  I have used Cranesbill Geranium for a ground cover. At my old house it faced North and all day sun.  Gave a piece to my Aunt and her’s faced South with all day sun.  Once it starts looking shabby, trim and it comes back again and greens up real nice.

I also agree about the Vinca.  No way for me. It is invasive and very hard to get rid of. I shy away from all of that type of stuff… Snow on the Mountain, Ivy’s, Myrtle etc.

#5149194 Report Abuse

bfaris
    Participant

I was thinking Creeping Phlox or Snow on the Mountain. My mom has lots of Snow on the Mountain so I can get lots of shoots from her so that will definitely keep the cost down. When is the best time to plant either of these two and do I have to do anything to get the ground ready? Also, are either hard to get started?  I definitely don’t want to tear that area up, because with my luck, it would rain and wash it all away. Really wanted to stay away from the crownvetch – although it’s pretty, I know it takes over. There’s already so much of that in the road ditches around here, and since I live close to a hay field, I’d hate to have that get started where it’s not wanted. Thanks for all your advice!

#5149975 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I would have a on of suggestions for you, but 1st I need to know what zone you are in.  Those talking about Vinca being invasive certainly are NOT zone 4 gardeners.  We baby it to keep it alive!  creeping phlox bloom in the Spring here and then die out, so would not be pretty on your slope. If we know your zone it is much easier for us to give suggestions.

Snow on the mountain certainly does well here….just take some of your Mom’s plants and throw them in the dirt….they will grow.  They like sun, part sun, or shade.  They also survive wet years or drought years. Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5150217 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Charlene has a point.  Different things for different spots.  The Vinca is very invasive her.  Snow on the Mountain & Polo are easy to grow.  The Phlox here blooms in Spring but after that you still have the green plants.  Another though is Ice Plant.  Also very easy to grow & spreads well.  Just throw a piece down & it grows.  I an in zone 7b-8.

Ice Plant

#5150287 Report Abuse

bfaris
    Participant

I live in Missouri. Maybe Zone 5 or 6. Kind of west central along I-70.

#5150519 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

You should be able to grow most of the things suggested here.

#5150819 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Hello Bfaris,

It just so happens that I have been researching various ground~covers for a month or so now. It appears the roaming bunnies have had their way with some of my favorite creepers.

Some really easy~peasy seeds to start are Thyme (not much cost involved with seeds but I would suggest you work your soil a bit or amend it with a little something…unless you have great soil to start).

If you have a bit of funds to work with you may want to try a creeping/blooming Sedum of some sort, they have so many to choose from now & some of them are quite hardy to your zone.

I’ve seen flowering bulbs used successfully on slopes although I have not tried bulbs myself. There is also a lovely new Oregano that blooms purple Wisteria like looking flowers but have only seen the plant for sale  & not the seeds.

You really have quite a few choices as it sounds as if the area in question receives lots of sunlight presently?

There are some GC’s that bloom an entire season & others that put out a year long display of greenery. Some with thorns &/or berries…do you have a preference?

It is such a joy to see something you planted in all its glory. Hope you enjoy the research, planting & the finished product!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.