Greener pastures…..?????…..hmmmm!

Home Forums Birding Your Bird Stories (aka Bird Tales) Greener pastures…..?????…..hmmmm!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Stelios Stelios 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Not sure I’m happy with my backyard birds.  To think they were in such large numbers around my feeders all year round….only to be left with just a few.

At first I thought it was the heat…No….it’s not that.  I do believe that food is plentiful and the birds are attracted to mother nature’s buffet…….How unfaithful is that…(lol).  To think that the cost of all the food I buy for them is snubbed for the natural stuff.

Ok, I now have labled my backyard friends unfaithful, rude, unappreciative, and uncaring….Here I am having breakfast with one lonely goldfinch who has decided to grace me with it’s presence….hmmmm.  At least my dog Zorro never leaves the premises…..

I’m just having fun here.  Yes, I do miss my menagerie of feathered friends.  I do understand they want to go the organic way, but what about me….(lol).

Looks like this week I will just have to go looking for birds elsewhere.  A good excuse to have a fun trip.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5268294 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Hi Stella, oh don’t get discouraged. The birds are on their time table, not yours..lolol

Our orioles were gone for almost 3 weeks, and I didn’t remember them being gone in the past years, but I guess they were. The bugs, and worms are so plentiful right now the birds are feasting.

I did take down a couple of my feeders, and only have one double suet left out. I do want the birdies to favor mine food, but Mother Nature needs them for clean up more than I do.

I am like you I need a road trip.  Even if its just to one of the parks around here.  The lake is quiet too.. only the swans make a daily appearance.  No ducks, nothing right now.  I guess they are all up your way.

I just look at it this way, I will have seed ready for them when the cold weather gets here..lolol

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5268325 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

I never thought of taking down my feeders.  I guess you can say I’m insecure.  Or is it selfish.  I am so worried that the birds won’t come back.  I have a feeling that the goldfinches in the last few years have been getting lazy….to my advantage.  They do hang around more than they did in years gone by.  So I’m afraid Sharon, those nyger and BOSS seeds are staying put….LOL

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5268330 Report Abuse
    carross
    carross
    Participant

I think you are right Stella about the goldfinches, I have lots of them.  I did see the RBG this morning, and I thing that was it.  I have hardly seen a hummer at my feeder, only once or twice.  Too busy with the flowers I guess.   The cardinals are around early morning and later at night.  My orioles are gone also, I do think the wrens, haven’t hear them, but they don’t come to the feeders.  Stay strong they will return.

Carol

#5268348 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

I’m glad you brought this up, Stella.  My feeders are also sort of lonely except for goldfinches….and not as many as usual.  Several of my friends have lamented to me that they do not have birds at their feeders and they think it’s bc they are doing something wrong…..or that there is something wrong with the birds.

I have tried to re-assure them that the birds are around……there is just lots of natural food for them and some have already left for the south.  So I’m glad to hear this is the case….and I’m not steering them wrong.

Thanks for the discussion.

#5268358 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

No goldfinches in my yard either and haven’t been for quite some time.  Today I had a red winged blackbird, grackles……………….being piggish.  And, then several mourning doves, bluejays, and chickadees on the front feeders.  No cardinals yet today but they stop daily sometime.  I have a few suet feeders up and not all of my bird feeders filled…I don’t want more grackles and the more the seed the more that come here.  They are in large groups especially after lawn is mowed.

Last night a skunk and a deer visited at midnight……………the dog let us know!  He was barking at the skunk through the glass door while the skunk was eating birdseed on the ground.

I just think there is too much out there now for the birds to eat in flower beds so they don’t come to the feeders much, except the nuisance birds.  Hope the grackles leave soon and the starlings never show up!

#5268363 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

We let a lot of the dropped BOSS sprout and I have a yard full of sunflowers, the goldfinches and a few cardinals are loving it. Even had one Blue Jay and I seldom get them. Wish my squirrels would quit cutting them down though.

#5268374 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

Think my birds go out to our nature preserves during the summer, when the snow covers everything they come back. With everything I have in my yard you’d think I’d have more birds but then, I love in town. My sister hated where she live which was just outside of town but in a country setting and her yard was such an ideal place for putting up feeders in the yard. Now she’s feeding them at the Nursing Home.

#5268614 Report Abuse

OhioLilacLady
    Participant

DH has been suffering from “”empty nest syndrome”" here, Stella ~~~

First we had the bluebirds (5 babies) nesting, hatching, feeding and entertaining us.  Then we had the Tree Swallows (5) a week or so following with the same schedule in a house across the yard .  DH would feed them meal worms early morning and then we sat out in the back yard watching them and feeding them again in the early evening.  Very entertaining ~~~

Shortly after the swallows were gone from their house, we noticed House Wrens in the maple tree house in the front yard. Again, he feeds them meal worms morning and evening and , sadly, last night they fledged the nest.  BUT, luckily he was out there, called to me and we both got to hold a baby wren for a bit before turning them loose with their parents in the maple tree.

So, this morning, we re kinda “”lost”" …. LOL !!!

Marilyn

#5268710 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

My sympathy Marily…and to your DH.  I can just imagine how you both must feel when all those pretty babies are no longer for you to admire.  Sometimes I wonder how I could live without birds….impossible.  You are very lucky to have such a menagerie of families.  The only fledglings I have are sparrows.  Beggars can’t be choosers so I welcome them as well.  There is such a decline in sparrows ever since I had all the cedars cut down that I don’t mind them at all…..as long as they don’t interfere with my song birds.

Stella
    Community Team Member

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.