Gardening Pictures Past & Present… Tuesday 8/12/14

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Gardening Pictures Past & Present… Tuesday 8/12/14

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by steve232__nc steve232__nc 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Welcome to Tuesday’s picture thread.

I was lucky enough to get a zinnia to bloom once again with half red and half yellow

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#5272852 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

That is so cool.  Mine all turned out to be purple this year but they’re not very pretty.  Kind of brown around the edges.

Agapanthus.  (This was blue last year, go figure)

Same plant last year,.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5272853 Report Abuse
    Donna
    Donna
    Participant

Steve, you are just so clever, you will have to tell us your secret :) That is way too cool.

Gayle, the mysteries of gardening, you never know what we will find from one year to the next. Both are very pretty.

Torenia with Nicotiana at each end and the first one has a huge hole in the left front corner thanks to our resident squirrels.

Donna_Canada_Z_5

#5272865 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

That one is my favorite Steve.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5272910 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Steve….what a cool zinnia….I have a few 4 o’clocks that look like that, but no zinnias.

Gayle…..can’t explain why that happened….like Donna said….the mysteries of gardening.  At least it is still alive and is very pretty.

Donna…your containers are lovely in spite of those ratty squirrels.

Margba…in answer to your question yesterday….DH is the hosta guy here and he loves the foliage and thinks the blooms take away from their beauty….go figure.  I like the blooms and so do the hummers and hummingbird moths, but we only get to enjoy them for a few days before DH cuts them off.

We have quite a few of the daylilies often called ditch lilies or corn lilies.  They have always been single flowers and a solid orange color.  For some odd reason this year many of them are doubles and they have a yellow throat.  I guess they like cool temps.

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5272918 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

Steve that is one KOOL zinnia….Gayle you must quit putting Clorox on your plants to get them white.   LOL   Love all the pictures shared today…Here is a blossom from Hosta….I don’t like them either but for a short time and then they have to go….

Remember I showed you about six plants of Cotton that my DH was experimenting with…Well here is his first blossom or two…they are about 5 ft tall (LOL)  Hopefully I will be able to post an actual cotton boll soon.  It is the yellow spot on lower left side.

When we were out on the boat at Gulf Shore recently , I saw this pile of wood that had a flower growing on the right side of it….Just goes to prove that a seed will grow anywhere….

Hope all have a Blessed week….

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#5272924 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

Cool zinnia Steve.  What fun to try cotton too!  All the pics are great.

Have some pics from the prairie today.

What you can’t quite see in the pics is how these flowers just go on and on.  SO gorgeous!

new sig photo signature_12.gif

#5272940 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Good morning, all!  Steve, very neat zinnia!  Seems like you could win some sort of horticulture award for that!  Try to save the seeds!  Gayle, like the agapanthus!  Also weird but neat about it coming back as a diff color!  Donna, like your container flowers!  Charlene, like the day lilies & thanks fo r answering my quest!  Janet, neat cotton plants!  Never really saw one too close up!  Melissa, very pretty prairie pics!  BBL!

#5273199 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Gayle… Looks like your pretty blue flower faded to white, but hey its still pretty anyway.

Donna… That nicotina and torenia look really good together. Guess your squirrel wanted to do a little gardening too lol………………Can’t take credit for the two toned zinnia, it just happened but I love it.

Wendy… Yes its my favorite zinnia too and I wish I knew how to make them all do that.

Charlene… Those are some really pretty lilies. Who knows why you got some doubles this year………..yes, as Donna said “the mysteries of gardening”.

Janet… Your hosta has some pretty flowers for your hummers to enjoy. Guess if your cotton grows you won’t be able to say you never picked cotton lol. I bet those flowers out in the middle of the lake never worries about whether or not it rains.

Melissa… You do have some nice pictures of wildflowers. Its likely those have a lot more nectar for the bees than most of the ones we grow in our gardens.

Marg… Afraid I can’t take credit for that zinnia. I had one do that last year and I did save the seed from it. Now I am wondering if all the flowers on that  plant will do that or just that one flower.

Thanks everyone for all of these great pictures and comments today.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.