Gardening Pictures Past & Present… Monday 5/05/14

Home Forums Gardening Garden Pics Gardening Pictures Past & Present… Monday 5/05/14

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Welcome to our Monday picture thread. We invite everyone to post the picture or pictures of your choice.

This hosta  has a story with it. I grew this for several years but not being a big hosta  fan I decided to get rid  of it. So I tossed it into the woods. About a week ago I was out checking things out and noticed this hosta growing out  in the woods.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5140989 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

LOL…they are hardy plants Steve.  I love Hostas, so you should have thrown it my way…

Hosta garden

More Hostas..

mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Steve and Julie, your Hostas are beautiful.

My Rhododendron in the back yard is in bloom and the bees love it.

#5141100 Report Abuse
    heatherincolor
    heatherincolor
    Participant

this is my newest weekend project, somewhat completed :)

Find more about Weather in Durham, NC

#5141119 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Lovely hostas and rhodys……!

Heather, what a nice neat job you did there.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5141154 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

Steve , I use to not like Hostas but have them everywhere now that I think a dag deer will not crop it down….I really don’t care for the flowers and use to crop them out and just have the foliage but now I leave them them too unless they fall over then they have to go. I have a lot in the sun and they don’t last long, maybe until July and then the sun blisters them…My number one project for the fall is get them all in the shade somewhere if I have to fence them in…LOL

Here is a picture of my Roddie,  it is so pretty and I bring in a flower now and then to float in a dish of water….

Money Plant….Charlene knows the correct name for these….

One of our Roses and then the Knockout Roses are blooming good now.

Some Lilies , not sure but look sort of like Siberian Lilies…

Fringe tree

This was my birthday present last Sept…..not where I want them yet…but safer here than where I did have them…..the lady doesn’t have a hat, suppose to have flowers on top of her head…

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#5141164 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I like the hostas….but for some unknown reason, I hate their blooms and so does DH.  We always cut them off when they start to bloom BUT that encourages them to bloom again in the fall….lol

Mary….that is drop dead gorgeous!

Heather…love your calabrachoa baskets….I see that one is the orange/purple combo that you like.  I look forward to pics of them later!  The baskets and flower garden look great.  Just a little tip….you might want to pull the mulch and dirt away from your iris….they will not bloom unless their rhizomes are exposed to light.  What are you going to have in front of your iris?

Janet…you have lots of beauty in your yard right now, don’t you?  They are all so pretty.

Silene from last summer.  I got these seeds from Sue (Anky)

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5141177 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

Wow Steve, that’s a great story….some things just thrive on neglect (or be left alone)….Taky and MM, great plants…that I can’t grow around here….so, I just admire yours…Heather, I am sure your neighbors are loving you for making everything  look so pretty..  Verbena Rigida close up

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

#5141179 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

Janet, you also can plant something where the hands  and feet  are supposed to be…lol….plenty of space to play around

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by ili Z.9 ili Z.9.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by ili Z.9 ili Z.9.
    #5141185 Report Abuse
    heatherincolor
    heatherincolor
    Participant

Thanks Charlene! Yeah my mom told me to uncover them a little when i sent her that pic too ;-) how much needs to be showing? i try to keep everything packed in pretty tightly so roaming dogs won’t destroy my work. Also, should i trim off the brown ends? i don’t know ANYTHING about iris! Mom just gave me some for my birthday so i planted them :)

Find more about Weather in Durham, NC

#5141272 Report Abuse
    flowerpowerz5
    flowerpowerz5
    Participant

Prim rose blooming. Heather you can trim the brown off the Iris it won’t hurt it.

Sandy M.

#5141355 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Julie… Gosh Julie you sure have a lot of hostas. They are pretty and look like they like their location.

Marnee… What a beautiful rhododendron is a beauty. If I were a bee I too would be visiting that beauty. 

Heather… Looks like you was busy this weekend. Million bells (or super bells) are one of my favorites. Hope yours do well for you this summer. …….. Just uncover the top of the top of the bulb on those iris and they should be fine….. By the time you read this its going to be your birthday so Happy Birthday. 

Stella… Glad you stopped in but we do miss your picures.

Janet… Now thats a lot of pretty flowers. Your yard must be a bright cheerful place. I really do love that big red rose too.

Charlene… Your silene has done really good. Those really are some pretty flowers.

Ili… Thats a really pretty verbena. I have only grown verbena once before and without much luck but  this year I have quiet a bit of it.

Sandy… Those primroses are just beautiful. This spring I kept meaning to get me a couple of them but never got around to it.

Thanks everyone for todays great pictures and comments to go with them.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5141359 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Heather….like Sandy said….trimming the brown off is fine.  I usually do it at an angle so the leaf still has a tip and then it isn’t quite as noticeable that you’ve trimmed them.  Iris just need to be planted deep enough so they do not blow over.  I will try to take a picture to show you….or maybe I can find one  to borrow from the internet….be right back…..

I couldn’t find a pic other than this video….lots of good info here along with pics!

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+deep+to+plant+iris+bulbs&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=5BD4E38228ADB5ED92845BD4E38228ADB5ED9284

photo 100_1493.jpg

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.