Gardening Pictures Past & Present… Monday 3/31/14

Home Forums Gardening Garden Pics Gardening Pictures Past & Present… Monday 3/31/14

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by steve232__nc steve232__nc 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Welcome to our Monday picture thread. Everyone is welcome to post the picture or pictures of their choice.

I’m so glad to have some daffodils blooming now.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5125212 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Those are pretty Steve.  They look like my Jet Fires but maybe bigger.

I have some blooming now too.

Another sign of the coming Spring (Peony shoots)

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5125215 Report Abuse
    Donna
    Donna
    Participant

Oh how beautiful Steve and Gayle, looks like a breath of fresh air

I couldn’t bear to show another old pic so found this one on the net……

Donna_Canada_Z_5

#5125242 Report Abuse
    dena1123
    dena1123
    Participant

I am so jealous of the Daffodils..  Well finally got into some old files.  This is Herman, the hole digger!  No wonder some of our seeds didn’t sprout.  I couldn’t believe a toad that size could get in those pots and hunker down.  Sometimes you could only see his eyes.

#5125362 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

My Irish’s are getting larger…maybe by Easter I will have some blooms.

Hosta’s are swirling up and out.  I have lots of these to move to a shadier spot.

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#5125369 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

Couldn’t get the words with the right pictures above…

Lots of Azalea buds and a few blooms

This is my snowball bush budding out….I call this my Grandmother snowball bush because the original plants came from her bush…I hope Charlene’s that I sent to her made it through the cold winter…over to the left is a Honeysuckle azalea and on right is Mahonia I think it is called..It is loaded down with berries and when the berries are ripe in about a month the Wax Wings will come in and take care of all of them in about 3 days. This is a picture of the berries that I took yesterday .

Last but not least, these beautiful Tulips….I wish  I had hundreds or thousands of these in the yard but it is too hard to make the holes in this Ga. clay….

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#5125399 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

I’m looking forward to my Eastern Redbud blooming this year.  I planted it several years ago for the hummingbirds but so far haven’t had any visit when it is in bloom.  I hope they make it worth my effort some day because this darn tree reseeds like crazy and its seedlings are not easy to remove. :(

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5125403 Report Abuse
    Tennduckie
    Tennduckie
    Participant

All the flowers are so pretty !! LOVE THE FROG , I want a frog in my garden …lol :)

#5125421 Report Abuse
    flowerpowerz5
    flowerpowerz5
    Participant

Last years picture. I don’t think the tulips have poked there head up yet it’s ben to cold. Karen I didn’t know Red buds made seedlings. I have that tree and haven’t noticed any babies. Will have to check this year. I do love that tree though.

Sandy M.

#5125426 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

Sandy, the pods are brown and look like snow peas.  Inevitably, each year I find thin stems sticking out of the ground that have the same heart-shaped leaves as the red buds have.  Those darn pods go everywhere!  Our tree is in the backyard, yet we have had two or three VERY strong seedlings not want to give up their spots in the front yard – on the other side of the yard.  I even resorted to letting DH put chemicals on them to get them to die.  I hated doing that but we cannot have a tree growing right next to our foundation like these wanted to do.

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5125432 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Karen I know what you mean about the red buds trying to take over the world. In Al my neighbor had one right on the property line and they would come up in the driveway bed like weeds. But she loved her redbud and I didn’t make a big deal out of it because she was such a nice person. I don’t need anything else around here to fight with, there is enough between the neighbor’s Sweet Gum balls blowing all over the place and the “normal”  pine cones and seedlings that I have to live with…at least the pine seedlings are easy to pull but the sweet gum has a long, deep tap root.

Last spring I started some Gloxinia Seeds, they languished in the greenhouse all summer and I actually forgot about them. The other day I noticed one had buds on it so I brought it in. I counted 25 buds, but one fell off…it hasn’t bloomed yet but this is what it looks like today:

[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/30kq350.jpg[/IMG]

Well I tried twice to get the picture to show up and it didn’t..so I guess you will have to use your imagination:)

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5125458 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Janet, there is still a snowbank on top of the Snowball bush, but I will certainly let you know if it survived the winter.

I am envious of all your pretty blooms.  I don’t have anything blooming, but I do have a fat old toad pic from last summer….lol

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5125490 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

For Molly

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5125614 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Beautiful flowers and plants everyone.

We have had lots of rain for the daffodils

Cheryl Galand's photo. Cheryl Galand's photo.

Some of my Tulips are almost ready to bloom.

Photo

The annual Tulip festival this year is from March 28th- May 4th. I like to check the farms web site for their field report. The fields must now be really be muddy as they say bring your boots.  They indicated that around the 5th of April they should be close to full bloom.

#5125743 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Gayle… Beautiful and cheery yellow daffodil. Not checked to see if my peony is peeking out yet but maybe I better put that on my list of things to check Tuesday morning.

Donna… Now wouldn’t it be nice to have a big bed of those beautiful daffodils like those. I’m sure your looking forward to spring  up there and the melting of all the snow.

Dena… Looks like Herman liked those pots too. Looks like you and I use about the same kind of pots for seed starting. Hi Herman.

Janet… Your hostas and iris are looking really good. Nice looking azalea too with lots of buds just waiting to put on a big show. Your snowball bush is looking good too and lots of berries waiting for the birds. You have some beautiful tulips too.

Karen… I love redbud trees. They are just beautiful in the spring  but yes they do send out a lot of seed pods and sprouts everywhere. The ones my parents used to have attracted all kinds of bees but I don’t remember seeing any hummingbirds visiting them.

Daphne… Hopefully this summer a frog will find your garden and call your garden home.

Sandy… Those are some really pretty tulips too. Those ferns in that bed really fit in nicely too.

Molly… Those gloxinia are really healthy looking plants. Hope you share pictures with us when they bloom.

Charlene… Sure hope you get to soon tell us you can now look outside and see no snow at all. That big ol frog looks like he had a nice home in those healthy plants.

Marnee… Your daffodils sure are pretty. Yes your  tulips are almost ready to open and put on a beautiful show. Looking forward to seeing them in bloom. Hope you get to go to the tulip festival and I remember that dahlia festival you go to each year.

Thanks everyone for all of these great pictures and comments today.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.