Gardening Pictures Past & Present… Friday 6/20/14

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Gardening Pictures Past & Present… Friday 6/20/14

This topic contains 17 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by steve232__nc steve232__nc 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Welcome to our Friday picture thread. We invite each of you to post the picture or pictures of your choice.

I’m gonna give y’all the first peek this year at my birdbath/planter for this year. It started really slow but with all the heat lately its finally began to grow some. Verbena, Charlene verbena, stock, profusion zinnias and I have even saw a couple of marigolds invite themselves in from last summer.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#5155487 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Steve, your birdbath-planter is really pretty.

A couple more flowers that moved into my yard from the neighbors.

The flowers are on a side I don’t often see so I picked some for my patio.

#5155504 Report Abuse
    Gitti Z5
    Gitti Z5
    Participant

Steve, nice looking Birdbath

Portulaca

photo signature_1_zps17dbf24d.gif

#5155508 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Steve your bird bath is looking great! I haven’t had time to take any pics lately and right now I am between the early blooms and the later ones so not much to show, now that we had rain I hope to have more soon. Gitti for some reason I forget portulaca and I do love it…yours is so pretty!

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5155526 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Steve…your birdbath is looking great!  Those imagination verbena are a plant that Del introduced to me.  I like them because they don’t require the deadheading that most verbena do.

Mary….just what are those lovely flowers that your neighbor is sharing with you?  They certainly are pretty!

Gitti…your portulaca looks great and I love your chair that they sit in.

My Wisteria vine has been blooming and smells so great.

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5155541 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

Steve, your b’bath is shaping up nicely.  I have the same sort of b’bath and after seeing yours last year I decided mine would be more useful as a flower container too.  I have gazinnias planted in mine and an annual, summer gloxinnia, (from Charlene) in mine.  They haven’t started to bloom yet.

Mmarnee, are those blue and white balloon flowers?  They are very showy!

I love the portulaca too.  Nice display.

Charlene, you are lucky your wisteria survived last winter.  My DD ‘s was so damaged by the cold it is just now sending up new shoots from the roots.  Last year it was gorgeous.  And yours is gorgeous now!

The herbaceous peonies are blooming here now.  Although some of them took a hit from the dry spell we had with a hot dry wind.

#5155556 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Charlene, I believe  my neighbor just said they are called Campanula, or bellflower. I love your Wisteria vine; the flowers are beautiful. One of my neighbors has a Wisteria vine and I have never seen any blooms on it.

Gitti, your Portulaca are really pretty.

Hi Leslie!

Iris, your flowers are beautiful.

#5155586 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

Lovely flowers again.

Steve-Do you have drainage holes in that birdbath?

Gitti – Love the portulaca.  I grew it from seed once, but it was so spindly.  Not sure the correct way to do it, but think they need to be mass sown.  Seeds are neat, look like metal filings.

Gorgeous bellflowers Mary.

Charlene-Wish I could have smelled those and wish they would grow here.

Noreen-Pretty peonies.  Mine are a bust again this year.  If they don’t bloom next year I’m going to move them.  Maybe I should dig them up and put in some new soil?  Any suggestions anyone?

More columbine (yes, I have an addiction).

My William Guiness are blooming!  My plant in the back is loaded with blooms.  It’s first bloom was small and deformed, but then the rest look good and normal.

Hard to see how pretty they are without tipping the blooms up.

The ones in a different bed all are deformed looking.  Any ideas why?

My Nora Barrlows are blooming too.

Love the green tint on the edges

Had to post the clementine reds again

Was going to do an update of this pot and the camera hog jumped in and smiled!

new sig photo signature_12.gif

#5155606 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

Melissa, if your peonies are too crowded (by other plants) they stop blooming.  Did you ever have blooms on these plants?  If they have become shaded by trees that have grown over the years they will stop blooming.  And if you have never had flowers on these plants, it could be bc the crowns were planted too deep to start.

I have never know peonies to need fertile soil, they are so tolerant of almost any kind of soil.  But they do need some sun, well drained soil and they can’t be planted too deep.

#5155612 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

Gorgeous flowers everyone.  Steve that birdbath is looking good.  I can’t wait to see things spread and hang over it.

Beautiful flowers all.  Mmarnee, I have a couple of the bell flowers, but the salt we had to put down on the inch thick ice this winter ruined one and it got stunted for sure..LOL.  I have to remember not to throw the melted stuff on my flower bed.

More garden walk pics.

Sedum along walkway

Rose tree in background

Love the stone setting above

Lots of sedum on that ground

herbs in the wheelbarrow…that is it for now.

Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

Noreen-I put this plant in 7 summers ago, had blooms years 2-5.  I didn’t think much about it not having blooms last year as our winter had been long and cold, with snow lasting until mid May from a late spring snowstorm.  This winter was colder with plenty of snow too, but it was gone sooner.  Nothing else has changed, as far as the amount of sun, or crowding.  I don’t have much planted by it other than some crocus and squill, and a catmint, but I put that in last summer after it didn’t bloom.  It got tiny buds on it, half the size of a pencil eraser, that just got hard and fell off.  Last year it had several, this year just 1 that I noticed.  We’ve had lots of rain, so it wasn’t too dry (too wet for sure, but don’t think thats the cause).

new sig photo signature_12.gif

#5155617 Report Abuse
    abeyl
    abeyl
    Participant

My goodness with all the beautiful pictures, I’m not sure I want to post mine. Oh well it is what it is. A Thread leaf Coreopsis       Abey

My first Calla Lily bloom

#5155628 Report Abuse
    heatherincolor
    heatherincolor
    Participant

i finally have LOTS blooming at the little blue house, so i’ll try to share with  y’all more often.

my first red sunflower

one of my porch boxes of superbells

Find more about Weather in Durham, NC

#5155634 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

Steve, that birdbath is coming along great, Heather, love, love your R.SF…..Melissa, that pic is a keeper, he’s sooo cute….Everyone’s posts are so beautiful… My Geranium did not make it… My “Rio Scarlet” Portulaca, right now is not blooming much…

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

#5155645 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

Melissa, perhaps the lack of blooming this year was caused by our severe winter again.  Sounds like you are doing everything else ok.  Several of my peonies had fewer blooms than usual this year but since so many other perennials suffered the same from our extreme winter, I just marked it to the winter.

I should have went on to say….peonies are so hardy, given the chance they will probably recover and bloom again for you.  If you move them, it will be acouple years for the them to recover from the move.  Either way the plant is still very attractive.  I love the dark, shiny leaves.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by iris43 iris43.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.