Garden Project for my friend

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Garden Project for my friend

This topic contains 24 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Gayle Gayle 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

My friend has been battling cancer for a couple of years now.  Just recently she got the good news that the chemo is finally making her tumors shrink.  The good news has given her new hope and enthusiasm, but she is still lacking strength to do some of the things she wants to do.

She wanted all of the weeds removed from around her foundation and mulch put down and maybe the addition of a few plants.  DH & I offered to help her.   She stressed several times for us to “keep it simple” (I think she feared I would pack it full of plants like our gardens are….lol)

We started with the area by her back door.  I had weeded it earlier this spring and planted some 4 o’clocks, but more weeds had appeared.

We dug the weeds and then layered  wet newspaper before adding the mulch.

Finished

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The next area was under her dryer vent….a barberry bush had winter killed and her dappled willow had gotten over grown….plus weeds, of course.

I took numerous plants to share for this project.  We dug around in her garage and found this washtub to plant some of them in.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In front of her house, 2 hydrangeas had winter killed….and weeds had taken over.

My DH was such a good weeder…..he is a saint sometimes.

In this area we added a pot of ivy geranium and nierembergia and hung a plectranthus

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a shaded corner under her bedroom window.  She just wanted it cleaned up, but no mulch.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A bricked area by her back door

After…..more finds in her garage

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A few weeks back we had planted some flowers in front of her barn….we just weeded that area

Added a venetian bridal veil by her clematis

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

3 hours later, it was time to relax….see how happy she is…and how tired DH is?  LOL

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5268275 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

Charlene, you and your DH are the best kind of friends anyone could ask for – ever!  I’m sure your BFF is thrilled with all that you two accomplished for her.  Everything is beautiful!  I love how you re-purposed things she already had to get a new look.  Smartest woman in the world …  well done.

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5268276 Report Abuse
    Sandy K.
    Sandy K.
    Participant

Charlene you are such a wonderful women and DH  to help your friend out like that . That was a lot of work and you two did a beautiful job . I have two and 1/2 gardens needing weeding yet do you think I could borrow you two for a weekend :-) (joking)  Your friend looks so happy and I am glad to hear the tumors are shrinking .I’ll be sending prayers her way that  she can kicks the cancer .

sandy K.

Find more about Weather in Lupton, MI

#5268279 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Wow Charlene!  You and your husband did a fantastic job on your friend’s flower beds.  So neat and great arrangement of colors.  Sure could use the help here…..I would include room and board…..!  Thanks for sharing.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5268283 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

Wow, what a change since I was over there this spring! No wonder Larry is tired, he had to keep up with you if it only took 3 hours. It would have taken me a full day, lol. It looks soooo much better! Why did she not want mulch in that area?

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#5268287 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

It is ironic that we were doing all of that weeding at her house since we have a ton of them right here that need attention….lol

Kathy….she didn’t want mulch in that area because she plans on adding some more heuchera plus she has columbine seedlings popping up here and there, so we will do the mulch thing later this fall.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5268290 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Just taking a moment to skim through before leaving.  It all looks great but I have a question for you.

Doesn’t the dryer vent blow on her plants & damage them?  The vent at Mike’s house is abut 3 ft up the side of the house & blows straight out but the previous owner planted a bush in that area & it blows right on it.  The whole area of the bush there is dead & brown.

I’ll check for an answer tomorrow.  “See” ya then.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5268291 Report Abuse
    carross
    carross
    Participant

Charlene,  You and your DH, did a great job.  Your BF must be so happy with the look.  Now on to your house.  The weeds are never ending with the cool temps and all the rain.

Carol

#5268293 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

You and Larry did an amazing job!  Looks so much better and your bff looks so thrilled!

new sig photo signature_12.gif

#5268309 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

What a wonderful neighbor and friend you are.  I applaud you and your hubby for doing this. I do hope your friend’s gets better.

I know just seeing what you did for her makes her feel so much better.

You did good !!!!!!!

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5268322 Report Abuse
    bwatcher
    bwatcher
    Participant

I’m sure you know that God was watching over your shoulders as you two did this. He’s making marks in His big book and making sure that it’s noted what you two have done. The fact that you two got this done in 3 hours IS amazing, but it was really 6 hours of work.

You have done more than just the physical work; you’ve given your friend relief from the stress of worrying about the weeds and the way things looks. She can feel pride now, and that goes along way in her healing. You have given her a medical treatment that no dr. can give her. You gave her happiness, joy, and the feeling of pride, respect, and most of all LOVE.

You did a great job!

#5268327 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

What a wonderful job you two have done for your friend, truly a “labor of love”.  I sure do hope your BFF gets better as time goes by.  Good news that the tumors are shrinking.  I hope and pray that things go well for you too Charlene, for I know you are a person who cares for others more than yourself.  God Bless you and keep you in his care too.

SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Looks great Charlene. I know she appreciated it more than words could say. You are a terrific friend.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5268346 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

I have to agree with everyone’s remarks.  I imagine your friend loves the look of her house now….weeds gone and such neat and tidy looking gardens.  You and hubby did a great job keeping it simple but very attractive.  She will feel she can now stay in control of the watering and looking after the flowers.  I know that would make me feel better.

I wish for her continued improvement for her health.  A good frame of mind helps more than we know.

#5268388 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

The 2 of you did such a great job. Like Kathy, it would have taken me a lot longer than 3 hours.

Love the flag. I think I need one of those. My house is definitely becoming a nuthouse.

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.