Friday 7/04/14 on the VIP ~ Happy 4th of July!

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Friday 7/04/14 on the VIP ~ Happy 4th of July!

This topic contains 16 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Raising_4_Birders Raising_4_Birders 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Good morning all. Cloudy this morning and cooler. We got plenty of rain overnight. I won’t have to water all weekend. It was nice to sleep in this morning til 5:30. This is the weekend I like to sow my zinnia (zinn-ee-ia) seeds so I have something blooming when everything else is either done or tired looking.

Have a great day all.

God bless this country and our men and women and their families who protect us and keep them safe.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5260361 Report Abuse
    labrat_
    labrat_
    Participant

Good morning to All!  Cloudy, cooler here this morning too, a welcome change.  Thoughts are with those in the path of hurricane Arthur, and grateful it should soon go out to sea.  Thankfully it will miss us here on NJ shore, though we’re  going to feel some effects of wind and rain, and not a good beach day for those visiting.

We’re almost finished with the roof over the back terrace, some finishing work and it’ll be done tomorrow … not a good plan to work on a metal roof with t-storms possible today, lol.  Today is a great day for garden cleanup after last night’s rain.

Good thoughts to all for a happy, peaceful and safe holiday  :)

____________May all your weeds be wildflowers.____________

#5260365 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Good Morning all…We are in the midst of it now, nothing serious but some wind and some of our much needed rain. I deliver Meals on Wheels this morning so hopefully it will be calmer by then but those folks need to eat so I will use the truck for that. They are showing pics of Nags Head on the news now, hard to believe that a month from now we will be there and hopefully not another storm then. This afternoon I will work over at the parsonage, hoping that I can start painting walls now.
    I see that some of my bigger tropicals are laying down but they don’t seem to be hurt so they will be ok. And we did need the rain so it looks good to me.
    I hope everyone has a wonderful day, I know once this storm passes it is going to be a gorgeous weekend here.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5260368 Report Abuse
    flowerpowerz5
    flowerpowerz5
    Participant

Happy 4th of July to everyone! Sorry it rained your house Wendy it missed mine last night. It feels wonderfully cool this morning and the sun is shining. My ydd and I are going to the Buffalo zoo today. It’s a pretty big zoo compared to Rochester’s . My family didn’t want a picnic so I’m doing something for me. Have a wonderful day whatever you do.

Sandy M.

#5260372 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Sandy that sounds great.  We actually needed the rain so it’s all good.  Hope you enjoy your day together. I have never been to the zoo in Rochester.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5260373 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Good morning everyone.  We are starting our morning at 49º, but promises of sunshine and temps in the mid 70s later.  I am just going to have a “me” day at home.  DH is working.  He has been filling in at the convenience store where he used to work.  They seem to have a huge turnover in help and someone is always calling in sick.  Of course, no one wants to work on the holiday even though it is 1½ pay.

Wendy….I know you always plant your zinnias this time of year.  I am trying that with asters since I have so many seeds.  I think they will be pretty this fall.

Labrat….glad to hear that your roof project is coming a long.  I’d advise you to take the day off if you have storms passing through.

Molly….glad you are getting some rain.  I hope it doesn’t develop into anything more than that for you.  I didn’t think they probably did MOW on holidays.

Sandy….love your new avitar.  I hope you guys have a fun day at the zoo.  It sounds like fun.

I am sure I will be checking in here later.  Have a great day everyone.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5260381 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

Good morning. I am dragging a little but will go out soon and pull some weeds before I start pulling up carpet. I don’t know yet if we will go to a fdidn’t start!orks show tonight. Several small towns nearby are having them but ours quit doing that several years ago.

Charlene, enjoy your day with your flowers.

Molly stay safe on those wet and muddy roads.

Labrat, be careful, especially if it storms.

Sandy, hope you have perfect weather at the zoo.

Wendy, I didn’t start any zinnias this year but thankfully i have some that are just starting to bloom now. Perhaps i should throw some more seeds out and see if they will grow and bloom before frost.

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#5260382 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

Good morning.

It will be mid 70s with rain off and on but that is okay because everything is so dry again since we had pretty good winds most of the week. I plan on being outside working in the yard regardless of rain or heat.

No other plans for me today or this weekend. My kids and grandkids are are going to their Dad’s cabin at the river so I will be able to get a lot done with no disturbances.

I was just watching the news on the hurricane and was surprised at what I heard. I always thought hurricanes were worse than what they are I guess. A category 2 is the same as a strong thunderstorm here with the same wind speeds and water (ours due to too much rain so it floods the rivers and lakes). The one we had a few weeks ago, people are still cleaning up after the floods and many many have lost their homes due to the floods. I have a bad feeling that with all the weird weather we have been having that we may end up with a tornado this year.

Sandy I like your avatar too. I always have to look twice when you, Molly or Melissa posts because all three of you you had that yellow in your avatar, lol.

Everyone in the path of the storm, stay safe!

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#5260391 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Kathy maybe I will change my avatar:))
    The difference between what is a cat two hurricane here and your weather there is the fact that we are actually at sea level..we are on the HIGH side of the county, 8′ above sea level lol. And down on the beaches of North Carolina they are wide open to the wind and surf there are always roads washed out there.
    Charlene we deliver Meals on Wheels 5 days a week no matter if it is a holiday. For the weekends they deliver pre-packaged meals once a month. The High School Cafeteria actually cooks all of the meals during the week, even in the summer and they have some of the best meals!!! They also cook the meals for the Senior Center lunches. Right now they are re-doing the high school cafeteria so we have to pick our meals up at the Middle School.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5260405 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Good morning.  61 and overcast.  Not a good start for the 4th of July here.  We may have a few showers this morning.  I am rather lazy this morning.  Trouble even let me sleep in.

I am whipped from yesterday.  Ended up putting in 7 1/2 hours.  I peeled and sliced or chopped 50 pounds of onions and close to 25 pounds of tomatoes as well as cook and prepackage 10 pounds of pasta.  That made 24 pounds of pasta this week.  Also had to make gravy and 8 quarts of rice pilaf.  There was more to be done but I left at 4 to pick up Addison.  I was suppose to be done at 2.

Today I don’t have to be in to work until 2 but will probably leave here about 12:30.  This is no parking allowed on main street today at all so will hope to find a place to part at the supermarket parking lot.  It is about a 3 block walk from there to work so hope it isn’t raining.

Have been keeping up on what everyone is doing but just have been too tired to post.  I need to get moving now as Addison is coming for an hour or so while DS goes and picks up his Motorcycle which he left at his SO job when he had to go fix her car the other day.

Hope everyone is safe from Arthur.  He sure knows how to spoil a 4th of July for some.  Not very good timing but then a hurricane never comes at a good time.

Have a great day.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5260457 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

Just popping in to say, “Happy Fourth of July” to all my American friends!

#5260480 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

Happy 4th of July everyone.  My network is not working.  It took me three times to shut off the power on my modem to have it change so I could get on here.  It is a holiday and so be it.  Hate this  when it happens but I cannot afford satellite.  It is way too pricey out here.

The sun is shining and I am going out to wash windows.  We are going to have a hot day here today…upper 70s into the 80s, but that is ok.  Maybe I can finish staining this afternoon when things are dried out.  Going to get a little laundry done too.

Wendy, we have had too much rain here and no sunshine.  We need sunshine for at least a week to dry things out.  However, if we get wind then only a couple days of sunshine will do here..LOL  I live in a sandbox.

Molly glad you got the much needed rain, but one does not need the wind.  If we get a storm from the West we get it bad here too.

Kathy enjoy your day outside with the flowers.

Charlene, I love my me time too.  DH is out flea marketing today too, but he had to drive a distance today to do it.

Leslie, have a good day getting the carpet ripped out.  We are having ours done too soon, but I am paying someone to do it.  The entire house is getting done.  I wish our driveway guy would answer my calls, but he must be so darn busy he just isn’t calling me back.

Bette, sounds like you are one busy bee at work.  You have a lot of responsibility there.

Melissa hello.  Don’t know when this reply will post, so I know you will get here soon or you have posted before me..LOL

Have a great 4th of July all.

takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

Ooops!  Happy 4th to you too Iris.  I missed you.

luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

Happy Fourth of July!  Our weather is expected to perfect for the day.  Last night’s fireworks were gorgeous, as always.  The visit with our friends was nice, too!

DM will be he soon so I ought to get busy.  Just didn’t want to miss getting here today.  Time does get away from me sometimes.

Enjoy the day!

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5260583 Report Abuse
    labrat_
    labrat_
    Participant

Kathy, one of the big differences between a thunderstorm and cat 1 or 2 hurricane is that hurricanes originate over tropical waters  and generally travel north, bringing the warm moist air with them -  where thunderstorms can pop up anywhere.  Also, hurricanes have circular sustained winds 70+ mph , and thunderstorms have more gusty, multi-directional winds.  Both, though, can be equally dangerous and cause significant damage.

One of the reasons Sandy’s classification was changed from a hurricane to a “superstorm” was, as it traveled up the East Coast, even though it started as a hurricane, it lost some of the tropical air mass and mixed with the cooler air over the Atlantic Ocean (it was late October),  the winds became more multi-directional and there wasn’t a lot of rain .  The massive flooding was more from the surge of water from the ocean, bays and inlets due to the strong, swirling winds.  Calling it a superstorm was, however, a welcome technical change for a lot of us, since many homeowners’ insurance policies don’t cover hurricane damage, or carry very high deductibles for hurricane damage.  The re-classification of superstorm made it possible to collect more insurance for the extensive damage of that storm.

But, you’re right – a storm is a storm by any name.  Anyone who’s witnessed a tree falling on their house, or had a house or vehicle destroyed by flood waters, knows it really doesn’t matter what the scientists call the storm!

We’re getting rain and some wind here in NJ now, definitely not a roof building day, LOL.  Nice day to relax and even be a little lazy.  Hope all are safe and happy, wherever you happen to be!

____________May all your weeds be wildflowers.____________

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.