Fresh Fruits and Veggies in Winter

Home Forums Backyard Chat Food Fresh Fruits and Veggies in Winter

This topic contains 7 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by hazlnutz hazlnutz 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Stacy
    Keymaster

For most of us, it’s hard to get fresh fruits and veggies in winter. You just can’t beat the taste of garden cucumbers, tomatoes, etc. What are your tips and ideas for getting “fresh” into your meals during winter?

Stacy Tornio
    Editor
    Birds & Blooms

#4783072 Report Abuse
    Lizzie
    Lizzie
    Participant

I make a lot of soups and stews in the winter.  I put a LOT of things in my chicken Tuscan soup that are fresh:  grated carrots, fresh spinach, cannelini beans,  celery, sweet onions. 

#4783503 Report Abuse

Tigsy
    Participant

I’m doing roasted veggies a lot this winter — sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, parsnips. Dsis says she has done broccoli (which I love cooked) & cauliflower (“), too.  I rely on frozen (commercial or home-grown & frozen) too. Lots of salads with grated veggies in them, too.

#4784829 Report Abuse
    Stephbirdsfly
    Stephbirdsfly
    Participant

Lizzy & Tigsy — I do the same.

#4794612 Report Abuse
    mary
    mary
    Participant

I make sure i have fresh fruits for snack time,clementines, grapes and bananas, and buy Green Giant frozen veggies when Meijers has them 10 for 10.00 sales. Mary in Ky

#4795551 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I buy frozen veggies if they are made in USA or Canada.  Others that are from Peru, Guatemala, China are not for me.  And, Green Giant ones are not all made in USA, nor are Birdseye either.  I check them out before I buy them.

I do buy fresh celery, carrots, cauliflower, green peppers/red peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, bananas, apples-if they are not from Mexico, that is.  Must be USA or Canadian grown for me to buy them.

Same for canned fruits and veggies.  Support the USA & Canadian growers.

#4810133 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

The experts say that frozen veggies in the winter have more vitamins than the fresh so I usually buy frozen veggies in the winter until mine are ready. I still by fresh fruit and I am like the rest they MUST come from the US or Canada…I don’t trust some of the third world countries and their practices. I love Talapia but if it is from one of those countries it goes back into the freezer. They sell “fresh” talapia but they don’t say where it comes from so I don’t buy it. Same with frozen Shrimp..I have to know where it was harvested.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4837262 Report Abuse
    hazlnutz
    hazlnutz
    Participant

Fortunate to live in an area where there are lots of apples and pears available this time of year. Hard to avoid buying from other areas of the country at this time of year, but do buy bananas and avocadoes. I always have a container of lettuce growing on the windowsill along with fresh herbs.. But, nothing like going to the local farmers market when spring arrives  and getting fresh veggies.. Spring is on it’s way..Hang on

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.