Found This About the Butterfly's Wing

Home Forums Gardening Bugs and Butterflies Found This About the Butterfly's Wing

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Stelios Stelios 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

The wings of a butterfly are so fragile that even the weight of specks of dust or drops of moisture could make flying difficult.  Nevertheless, the wings stay clean and dry.  What is the butterfly’s secret?

Researchers at Ohio S.U. studying the Giant Blue Morpho butterfly (Morpho didius) found that although the insect’s wings look smooth to the naked eye, the surfaces are covered with minute overlapping scales that resemble tiles on a roof.  Even tinier parallel grooves on the surface of these scales cause dirt or drops of water to roll off with ease.  Engineers are seeking to copy the wing’s texture in order to make high-tech coatings for industry and medical equipment that are resistant to dirt and water.

I am sure that you’ll agree that the butterfly was wonderfully designed!!

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

#5126646 Report Abuse
    Wendy
    Wendy
    Participant

I found this to be very surprising and interesting! Thank you for sharing the info with me!  :)

#5131655 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Wow Ili, I’m so glad to stop on this thread.  How interesting.  I must pass this on to my grandchildren when we go looking for butterflies this summer.  Looks like one is never too old or too young to learn. Thanks for sharing this valuable information.

Stella
    Community Team Member

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.