found a dead bird inside the feeder today

Home Forums Birding General Bird Q&As found a dead bird inside the feeder today

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Posynut_NY_zone4 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

No idea how this could have happened.  I have a metal feeder that holds about 4 or 5 lbs of birdseed.  I took the top off which is made of metal and has like a small top on the roof that you grab to take the top off to refill the feeder.  When I did that I thought I saw something in the feeder that resembled a leaf or two.  When I reached in it was a dead bird that looked like a red breasted nuthatch.  Sure enough when I removed it apparently somehow it got in there and died.  It didn’t look frozen so I don’t know if it happened to fly into the metal feeder and then died from the frigid temps we have had or what.  But the mystery is how he got inside the feeder that holds the seed.

The feeder has two perches for the birds to stand on to feed; one on each side of the feeder and small holes where the seed is for the birds to eat the seeds,but no way to get into the feeder.  And, how it would have ever got in the cover on top that is metal is a mystery to me.  The cover would have to have been removed for anything to get into it and the cover was on solidly today when I lifted it off to refill the feeder.  And there was still some seed left in the feeder so I could add more to it.

It is just the mystery to me of how the bird got in there and then couldn’t get out if he tried so would eventually die in there.  The only thing he could do in there is overeat and become dehydrated and stay trapped in there.  His feathers were dry and soft looking, not wet or stiff.  Never had this happen before.  I could see if a squirrel or cat or crow got the bird but it wouldn’t end up inside the feeder even if that happened.

Guess it must be one of the mysteries of life that isn’t to be figured out.

#5105581 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

OH how sad… especially a nuthatch…. I had one last week in the feeder too.  Hubby says he thinks he froze to death instead of getting stuck… Like it was in there to keep warm but died anyway.  Mine was a male house finch… felt bad… I know last year I had some freeze in the bird houses… its just so cold for them.  I was reading that chickadees need to eat every couple of hours to keep their body heat up… poor little things…

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5106589 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

Is there any way it was in the container where you keep your bird food? I found a mouse in a bird feeder that I know could not have gotten in there and I’m thinking it was in the food but I didn’t notice it.

#5107859 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

I free may birds out of my hopper feeder, but one has never died in my feeders. I have caught Carolina chickadees, house finches, American goldfinches and American tree sparrows. That’s why I never leave that feeder up when I’m going to be gone for multiple days. I don’t want a bird to get stuck in it and die.

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

#5108815 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I don’t think it was in the birdseed I got out of the bags.  I mix most of my seed and I would have seen it when I dumped the seed out of the coffee can I use to carry the seed out front in.  But the feathers were not wet or frozen either.  So a mystery how it would have ended up in feeder.  I didn’t see any of the small windows on the outside of broken either.  I think they are plexiglass.  The feeder is shaped like a house or square building/church design maybe.  I will check the windows in it again to be sure the ones near the top were not broken and it got stuck and fell into feeder that way.

We have had such frigid nights/days, too, that it is a wonder any of the birds are still around.  I can’t remember such a cold winter since I have been feeding the birds as this one has been.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.