Flower Or Weed ?

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Flower Or Weed ?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Gayle Gayle 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Nice having the week off and it has given me time to do some weeding. Found this plant growing and not sure if its a weed or a flower but I kinda think its a flower. I planted several different kinds of flowers in the spring on a bit of a slope. Of course right after planting those seeds we got a heavy rain and that area washed pretty bad. This plant is growing at the bottom of that slope so I am thinking its something I had seeds for and those seeds probably came from someone on this board. Theres 3 or 4 of these plants coming up. My first thought was salvia but I didn’t have any salvia seeds. Any ideas ?

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5264440 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

Yvonne’s salvia was my first guess, too, Steve.

#5264441 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

…Looks like Hydrangeas leaves but much softer…4 O’Clocks ??

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

#5264442 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

yvonnes salvia is what it looks like to me too

new sig photo signature_12.gif

#5264444 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Well I think we can rule out Yvonnes Salvia. I’ve never had any or had any seeds for it. I did last summer have some of the smaller red salvia but it was all the  way on the other side of the garden and no way for it to walk over there unless a bird moved some there for me and I can see a bird carrying 3 or 4 seeds and planting them in the same area. But yet I too thought it looked like salvia.

Community Team Member

#5264445 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

Looks like a tree seedling to me.

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#5264446 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

Well you are missing out if you don’t have any yvonne’s.  They are the nicest plants and the hummers love them.  OK, so just plain old salvia.  I’m sure a chipmunk would gladly plant several seeds for you in a row! lol  Guess the only way to know for sure is to wait it out.

new sig photo signature_12.gif

#5264460 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I think it looks like Salvia as well….time will tell.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5264468 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Ok y’all have pretty well convinced my its salvia. Now I am wondering how I got 3 or 4 plants over there. Can’t see a bird planting that many in one area. Perhaps my CRS is in overdrive these days ? But then again I just know I didn’t save any seeds from the ones I had last summer. confused face smiley

Community Team Member

#5264473 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Steve…..look back to your pictures from last year….what did you have planted there?  The pics I take and refer to have solved lots of my questions.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5264476 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I can’t say as I’ve been having a problem seeing Steve’s pictures for a week now.  I just get half of the picture.    Wish we could figure out why.  Somebody else said the same thing the other night.  It’s a mystery.  Never had any problem seeing them before.  I’ll check again later.  Sometimes that works & sometimes refreshing works but not always. (like now)

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5264477 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

I just went back and checked pictures from that area last summer. All I can see is what I remember which is lupines. Thats where I had them and in fact one even came up this year. Got my fingers crossed it will survive the summer and  bloom next spring.

Community Team Member

#5264479 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

OK, there it is & I agree with everybody else.  Salvia

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.