Fixed corn tonight! Yumm! How do you fix yours?

Home Forums Backyard Chat General Fixed corn tonight! Yumm! How do you fix yours?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Lizzie Lizzie 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    margba
    margba
    Participant

It was really good yellow corn!  How do you fix yours? I usually just boil mine for a few min, then eat w/ a little salt & butter.

#5278606 Report Abuse
    bwatcher
    bwatcher
    Participant

I microwave it in the husk for 3-4 min. per ear depending on the size. When it’s done I just make sure I cut all the husks all the way around at the bottom of the ear, and then shake it out. I’m an Iowa farm girl and we don’t cut off the handle if there was one left on the bottom of the cob! LOL I wear my oven mitt to grab the silk end. Almost all of the silk stays in the husk when you shake the ear out; you might get a couple strays. I used to boil it, but this is so much faster because you don’t have to wait for water to boil or throw away that water when you’re done. I bought 4 ears of white and yellow at Walmart today for 20 cents each, so I will be making that soon.

#5278615 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

I never cut the “handle” off, either!  I think only folks who use those corn holder things do!  I dont bother w/ those things!  Will have to make it in the wave now sometime!  Next ears of corn I buy before season ends, I will!

I am wondering also how you freeze it fresh?

#5278644 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

I cut bottom and take off a bit of the top… spray with butter, and microwave 3 minutes per ear.. in a glass dish with lid… yummy.. no more boiling.

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5278645 Report Abuse
    shortbreadlover
    shortbreadlover
    Participant

i steam it in the  microwave and then i serve it with either sour cream or butter.  both are yummy

#5278655 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I husk all mine and put on a glass platter or dinner plate, put a bit of butter on each ear and cover with Saran Wrap and put in microwave 7 minutes.  I usually do 6 ears on the plate at one time.  It is done and hot and good!

Haven’t boiled corn on top of stove since I had my Frigidaire microwave and their great cookbook for veggie cooking in microwave and that was 30 years or more ago.  I do all my veggies in the microwave; acorn squash, etc.

#5278670 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

In the microwave pretty much  the way b’watcher does but I wrap it in a moist paper towel.  And when I take it out of the Microwave I cut the bottom part off & shake the corn  out.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5278692 Report Abuse
    fishseddyNYzn5A
    fishseddyNYzn5A
    Participant

Marg, the way I freeze mine is:

Take all but the last layer of the husk off and put in freezer bags.  My friend told me about this and it works great.  When you are ready to have the corn take it out of freezer clean off the last layer and silk and boil.  No need to thaw out ahead of time and it tastes like you just bought it.

photo signature_1.gif

#5278739 Report Abuse

joan1___Alabama
    Participant

I microwave mine in a little plastic dish shaped like 2 ears of corn that has a clear top.  I place one or 2 ears inside, cover and microwave.  It is delicious.  No boiling for me anymore.    

* For those who boil their corn,  do you aver add a spoonful of sugar to the water to enhance the sweetness?    I did try it and it did seem to make the corn sweeter.

#5278830 Report Abuse
    Carol Johnson
    Carol Johnson
    Participant

I simply put mine in the oven just as it is 350 20-30 minutes ..no cutting anything then when done un-wrap it every things comes off easy…

x_3d759b92 photo x_3d759b92.gif

#5278868 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Joan, yes!  I have done corn w/ a little sugar.  Might try to find those corn ear microwavable dishes.  Where did you get them?

#5278990 Report Abuse

joan1___Alabama
    Participant

Hi Marg.  I just saw your question.  

The dish is called  a “Corn Steamer”  and I ordered on sale from either Walter Drake or Harriet Carter catalog several years ago.

You can see the photo online in their catalog.    Once you know what you’re looking for you might find it in a store somewhere.

They work great, even the frozen corn  taste just like fresh corn from the garden.    I purchased them in a set of  TWO in a  buy one get one sale.   Right now they are  one for $6.98 each.   Perhaps they will put them on sale again sometime soon.

#5279006 Report Abuse
    dysfan
    dysfan
    Participant

We had corn on the cob too from local farm. I usually husk my corn put in a covered pyrex dish  and micro for 7 minutes.  The husks on is quicker and I have tried that, but seems like it’s so hot after cooking to get the husks off! OW!   We had butter and sugar corn tonight our favorite!

#5279035 Report Abuse
    Lizzie
    Lizzie
    Participant

I boil mine for 3 min and I add some sugar to the water.  I can only add a little butter now (bummer) but I add a lot of salt!  LOL

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.