Enjoyed watching a pr of hairy wp's right outside my kitchen window!

Home Forums Birding Your Bird Stories (aka Bird Tales) Enjoyed watching a pr of hairy wp's right outside my kitchen window!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Posynut_NY_zone4 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Yesterday @ lunchtime here I saw a pr of hairy wps!  Fun to watch them on the tree outside my window in my kitchen!  I have seen them here before but not in a long while!  Usually I see downeys, if anything!  I only saw a red headed wp here once or twice here, too.  Hope I see those wps again.  I thought I actually saw 3 of them.  Maybe they have a home in one of the trees out front here!  Didnt see them again today but I think I saw them flying about!

#5153253 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Hey maybe they will bring babies???? We had a hairy show up today, and I haven’t seen one in weeks…. so tomorrow I am going to put some peanut butter in the log for him.

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5153312 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

How nice that you get to see a hairy woodpecker.  What a shame mine are not showing up.  I had to take the suet feeder because the squirrels and grackles just chomped it up in one day.  A little expensive to feed those unwanted visitors.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5157229 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

I have abandoned those suet feeders, too cuz of squirrels!  Grrrr!  I heard a friend of a friend who makes & sells his own brand of bird seed, uses black pepper in it!  Birds dont care its in the feed, squirrels hate it!

#5267836 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I should try the black pepper in the seed I put in feeders and maybe squirrels would stay away from the tray feeder…………………..I know birds don’t care if it is red or black pepper in seed as they can’t taste it.  As long as the birds don’t get it in their eyes is the worry there using pepper.  I have had a pesky red squirrel around and it is so small that it can squeeze in some of the large hole suet feeders I have and reach into the center of the suet that is in the small square hole suet holder.

I have downies here or red bellied woodpeckers and that is it for this area.  Fun to watch, though.

#5268371 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

I only get the Downy’s, you’re lucky. I’ve only seen a Hairy one time and that was at a nature preserve. Did get redheaded woodpeckers until they put a new telephone pole in, don’t see them anymore unless I’m out walking. Between the squirrels and the starlings I’ve had to give up the suet for the summer, looking for a solution to the problem before winter.

#5272580 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I had a male downy at the suet feeder this morning.  One of the downies comes every day to get suet.  I like to watch them and we have quite a few because I have a lot of suet feeders up so they come all summer as well as the rest of the year.  Had finches this morning, too, blue jays and need to refill tray feeder as not much there from yesterday.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.