Echium Blue Bedder Question

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Echium Blue Bedder Question

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by MDgreenery MDgreenery 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Have you ever cut/used them for a bouquet? I would like to cut some tomorrow to include in a vase but they look very delicate & I don’t want to snip them off if they won’t last the day? I’ve never seen them in commercial bouquets, have you? Thank you.

#5153727 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I have some this year for the first time so I’ve never used them in a bouquet but I think they would be fine.

They are a taller plant than what I was expecting.  I was thinking they would be more of a mounding type ground cover plant.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5153797 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I grow them and have never tried them in a bouquet…..give it a try and tell us how it works.  They sure are pretty.  I grow them because of pics of yours, Ann…..they are very pretty right now.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5154284 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Thanks Ladies,

Gayle, I believe you may like them a bit more as the season progresses; they do tend to fill out fully, covering a fair amount of space for such a delicate looking plant.

Thank you Charlene. I have grown these little self seeders for a few years now but have never even considered cutting them for a bouquet until very recently.

Was more than a little worried that they wouldn’t hold up well in the vase & since the bouquets’  were not for our household, I chose different bloomers.

I’m very glad that I chose to twist & pull (recommended way for) the Alstroemeria ‘Princess Fabiana’ instead, as they were starting to rot out in the center b/c they had outgrown themselves. Had never seen such a thing before but all the remaining stems (and there are many) surely would have suffered & perhaps not even bloomed if I hadn’t taken all that I did from this one plant.

Also, these Alstroemeria are proven vase bloomers for me as I had pulled some a couple weeks ago for our indoor pleasure & they are still blooming. Even the unopened buds have opened & flowered indoors for us…that almost never happens for me…whether it is an expensive bouquet from the florist or a dollar special.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.