Do you seeds

Home Forums Gardening All About Seeds Do you seeds

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

all seem to germinate overnight in the dark?  Fist think in the morning is the only time I see new seedlings sprouting.  I wonder why that is.  Maybe when I have some time I will have to research that.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5110870 Report Abuse

hopscotch
    Participant

Bette, mine seem to germinate during the day.  I come home from work, and that’s when I see most of them coming up.  I’m afraid I don’t keep mine in the dark, though.  If some say they need light to germinate, they all get light.  Whatever is supposed to need darkness, they must have not gotten the memo.  The only time the lights were off was when it was night.  Maybe that helped them, I don’t know.

#5110906 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

I have noticed more happening overnight even in the garden. I guess sleep is good for everyone.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5110910 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

My seeds germinate fine getting light in daytime and no light at night.  What I have tried new is the heat mat underneath this year so we will see how fast germination takes place with that on all the time.

wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Leroy, I don’t put my seed under lights.  Only after they germinate.  If it says dark I just make sure they are covered well with dirt.  Non of this black paper over them or anything.  My lights on my seedlings are on 12 hours a day mostly during the day so when I go to bed the house is dark.

Julie be careful with the heat mat.  If the seeds like to germinate below 70 degrees I don’t use the heat mats.  If you don’t have a thermostat on the heat mats the dirt will get to about 80 degrees.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5111022 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Usually when I check in the morning there are new signs of sprouts.  I go to work and often in the evening there are new ones as well.  On weekends when I check every 2 hrs, I very seldom see any changes….lol.

I haven’t even used my heat mat this year.  My closet seems to provide enough warmth.  Those that need over 70 get the 60 watt light bulb, while the ones requiring cooler than 70 get the 40 watt bulb.  The rest of the seeds I have to plant are the non fussy ones like tomatoes, nicotiana, profusion zinnias, asters….etc….so I am not even going to dig the heat mat out.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.