Do you know anyone with a Cyclone Rake?

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Do you know anyone with a Cyclone Rake?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Raising_4_Birders Raising_4_Birders 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

We are going to have to do something, as we have a large yard and I cannot rake leaves. (That is how I hurt myself last year…and I still am not healed.) My DH has been doing the mowing, but he really hates yard work, and it would pay for itself, believe me! They are expensive, but if they do what their ad says, I want one….If any of you have one, or know someone that does, what do you think?

Thanks,

Linda Z

#5278732 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Not real sure what that is?

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5278736 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Linda….I also had to google this since I have never heard of it.  It makes me want one, but last year we bought a Worx blower/vaccum/shredder and it worked great for us, so for now I will be happy with that.  We don;t have a riding mower any way….lol

http://www.cyclonerake.com/

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5278743 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

Gayle…it is a leaf collecting system that you hook onto your riding mower…pretty expensive, so I wanted feedback from someone that might have one. (I just can’t do squat anymore, it is so frustrating…I planted a flower yesterday and really paid for it…I’m only 57, I sure hope this eventually heals, I have never been so helpless in my life, and I was always so busy and thought I could do anything….sheesh)

#5278746 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

OK, I looked.  Don’t know of anybody that has one of those.  Nobody here has a riding mower.

I’m sorry you are still having trouble with your back.  What did you do to hurt it?  Isn’t there anything that can be done about it?   I would be so upset & frustrated just like you.

#5278773 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Gosh Linda my heart goes out to you. My hip is getting so bad (including my feet) and I can’t kneel on that one knee anymore and it is so frustrating. I don’t know anyone that has one of those but probably cheaper to hire someone to come and do it for you with their equipment. I’m going to have to budget to have someone come in spring and get all my beds cleared of weeds and mulch it all. Hurts my feelings I just can’t do what I used to do.

#5278799 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

Gayle…I had weeks of physical therapy, 2 nerve blocks (injections in the nerve root of my spine)…the first time was painful, the second time the Dr injected the L5 vertebrae and then pushed that needle right up into the L4…it was brutal…I was shaking afterward. I do not have the courage to repeat that again, and it barely helped at all, anyway…I changed chiropractors and made  some progress, but I fell twice in two weeks time! (haven’t fallen in years) I know this can take over a year ( or more) to heal on it’s own, but I do not want surgery unless absolutely no other alternative….You do that in one spot, and it weakens the vertebrae above or below, and within a decade you have to have more surgery. I am just going to try to heal naturally. My DH has been so good, I can’t even grocery shop because to turn the corners with a shopping cart will cause pain that lasts for days and days. OK enough whining…but you did ask ,LOL!

OH…how this happened was I was raking leaves and displaced a vertebrae. which causes it to rock both forward and backward over the spinal nerves. I am better…just not where I want to be. (also, I was told it would have happened sooner or later anyway, that it usually isn’t the last thing you did, it is the 99 things that happened before…I have had two car accidents, and a bad fall down a basement stairs years ago….)

I just want to say to all you ladies…please don’t overdo...I actually worry about Bette and Molly and well,  all of you really…Just don’t let this happen to you…Oh, and I don’t know if any of you remember, but 4 years ago I gave myself a uterine prolapse hauling and pushing a wheelbarrow!

Gardening is dangerous!

(but I still love it, always will)

Deloris…I am so sorry, but I do understand…

#5278811 Report Abuse
    bwatcher
    bwatcher
    Participant

This guy explains all details of how to use this machine. Maybe you should let your DH watch it and see if it’s what he’s interested in trying.

#5278883 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Oh wow Linda.  I don’t know what to say to that.  Sounds extremely painful. Do pain pills help at all?

#5278924 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

Thanks, bwatcher….I have done that, and I think we will buy this thing.

Gayle…don’t you wish we could send personal messages like we used to? That was sure better than having everyone know all, but….I don’t take drugs unless I am dying, as I am allergic to some and the rest makes me feel weird, or makes me lethargic.(I did take a course of steroids, which didn’t help either, but caused my skin to go crazy and burst blood vessels all over my face!) I took naproxin for awhile, but that doesn’t do much, but I have a topical compound they made for me that does a surprisingly good job, I use this when I really, really need it. I am usually not in severe pain, but chronic pain gets you down, especially when you think you are getting better ( which I was before I fell) I know I will get better, I just will have to be patient. Thanks for asking…

Linda Z

#5279012 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Good luck Linda.  I don’t take meds either unless no other choice.  Hope you get better soon.

If you know any of the regulars e-mail address, contact them & they can give you my e-mail address if you want.

#5279056 Report Abuse
    labrat_
    labrat_
    Participant

A friend has one, and currently has it up for sale.  Keep in mind – it gets heavy with leaves and other debris, which can be a problem when emptying it.  The weight is sometimes difficult for the mower to pull.  Towing it can also make maneuvering the mower tricky, especially turning and backing up.  It’s powerful, vacuums up stones, rocks and twigs, and can get clogged, causing you to stop and clear it out.

My personal feeling is the heavy weight pounding over the lawns frequently to collect debris compacts the soil and is not healthy for the lawn.  Plus the extra strain it places on your mower and driver.

Before investing in this equipment, I would suggest trying what we’ve done for years on our 5+ acres  -  that is to simply mow over the leaves, chopping them into small bits that then decompose in a short time, adding valuable nutrients to the soil.  The small bits of chopped leaves are hardly noticeable, don’t blow around or compact down, and disappear in practically no time.  Several years ago we found “mulching” blades for both the riding and push mower that shred the leaves even finer that the regular mower blades (we use these for routine grass mowing as well).  Cost of the mulching blades was less than $50.  All much easier . . .  and healthier for the earth and us  :)

____________May all your weeds be wildflowers.____________

#5279108 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

Linda-My brother has one. He saved up and got it last year.  He loves it.  He did his yard, my parents, and my grandmas with it.  Says it was worth every penny.  We’d love to have one with our 3.5 acres of trees but it’s just not in the budget with everything else we’ve done.  We do have a rental place in town that rents them and we’ve thought about doing that.  Dh and ds were going to try to come up with some kind of trailer that we could put behind the rider and mulch them in to (which is essentially what that is).  We’ll see! lol

new sig photo signature_12.gif

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.