Do you have problems of cats around your feeders?

Home Forums Birding General Bird Q&As Do you have problems of cats around your feeders?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Gayle Gayle 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

One of the neighbour’s had 8 cats….living just two doors away on the other street behind us.  One of her cats kept coming into my yard and kept scouting for birds.  Then last year mid summer, another cat hid behind the large boulders near the pond.  The next day I saw a dead robin.  I think cats are lovely animals, but I wish people would keep them indoors.  Do you have this problem?

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5106638 Report Abuse
    fishseddyNYzn5A
    fishseddyNYzn5A
    Participant

Yes I do, but we have feral cats that some people feed and they are always after the birds.

photo signature_1.gif

#5106677 Report Abuse

PAgrandma
    Participant

Stella and Judy,

I understand your dilemma…but I’m a cat lover (and bird lover).
    We have adopted two feral cats. They are indoor/outdoor furbabies and I do have to be prepared for their possible instinctive behavior.

All the shrubs around the feeder area are pruned high enough from the ground, so they can’t ‘lurk’. The seed is hung from a wire between two trees, so it is high enough and the cats can’t jump.

Yes, I have had a disaster over the past five years…but few. Hope you can find away to protect. ~ Joyce

#5106697 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

We have two this winter out here at the lake…and as soon as I can I am putting the live trap out and getting them.. I will take them to the shelter… or the huge cattle farm north of us. 

I love my kitties… we have always had them, always had outdoor kitties, but when they start going after my birdies… we have a problem. 

I am like Joyce.. its nature, but you can put your feeders up away from where the cats can’t get them.. mothballs around the bushes keep them out too..

We have 3 indoor cats that never go outdoors.  The vet says they can bring in diseases, pests, and eat something that they shouldn’t …so they never go out. 

As for the ferals, it is getting to be a huge problem everywhere…

Stella , if the lady has 8 cats maybe there is a rule in your county or city that she can’t have them? if so they could be taken away…which would be good…. maybe look into that… She doesn’t have to know where the call came from….and they are easy to trap… live traps with food in them and you catch them quickly.  Just a thought.

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5106728 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

I’m not sure I could trap all of the cats that roam around here.  Just the next door neighbour has 4, and across the street I lost count.  My dog Zorro does a good job, but during the summer months I don’t let him trample over my flower beds.  Maybe that   would do it, but I would lose my plants.  I’m hoping the new fence on the other side will help a bit.  All I have to do is one enclosure and it might save the day for a better word.  I will be monitoring the situation once the snow melts.

We have a by-law that allows only 2 cats per household….which some people do not respect.  I’ve tried to talk to some owners, but you know the outcome of that.  They get upset.  Strange….I don’t let my dog trespass on any one’s property.

Stella
    Community Team Member

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Stelios Stelios.
    #5106968 Report Abuse
    carross
    carross
    Participant

My neighbor has 13 cats, and are here a lot, I have talked with her and talked with her, tell her to get them fixed, no go.  I just keep yelling at them so they go back home.  Now I live in the county so the cats are not close by.  I am outside a lot in the warmer months, so I just keep yelling at them.  My cat has gotten birds, and I try to get her interest else where.

Sorry Stella I can’t help you, I do have a bb gun and I have used that.  They do come back in about 1 week.

Carol

#5107201 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

For some reason the other cats in the neighborhood disappeared this winter. We have one but she’s getting older and doesn’t chase them much, she was already an outdoor cat we rescued, my one stays indoors.

#5107501 Report Abuse
    theLark_IN_5
    theLark_IN_5
    Participant
    #5108237 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I don’t seem to have a problem with cats & birds .  Neither mine or any of the neighborhood cats.  But then my dog goes nuts when he sees a cat other then “hers” anywhere near the yard so maybe that’s why.  Zorro doesn’t bark at the cats?

The link did help me out with one thing though.  I have my feeder in the back yard as high as I can possibly reach in the tree becasue something kept pulling it down.  I have to hold it by the bottom & stretch up over my head to get it back up there .  I never thought of using a hook to do it.  A “Duh” moment for sure.   Now I have to see if I can find a similar hook.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.