Deer damage to hosta question

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Deer damage to hosta question

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Posynut_NY_zone4 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    steepdrive
    steepdrive
    Participant

Wouldn’t you know it despite my religious spraying of liquid fence, the deer knew I was away for two weeks and came for dinner a lot!

My question is about the hosta.  Will the leaves that were chewed off grow out again from the stems that are left or should I cut back those stems and let the plant send up new stems and leaves?

photo signature_1.gif

#5260020 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

The leaves are done for this year so trim off the eaten or damaged ones.  They may grow new ones on another part of the plant, but not sure if they will put anymore out this year or not.  Mine are blooming already.  Just trim them to make them look as tidy as you can.  I can see the leaves in mine have holes in them now, too.  That is from the slimy things that get on them under the plant and you can’t see.  I forgot to put stuff around mine to keep the slugs away, except some eggshells I tossed under some of the hostas that work to help keep them away from the plant.

Hostas are a deer’s favorite among many other plants.  They do so much damage.

#5260022 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

This may be a tough one to hear, while I don’t have any direct experience with deer in the garden I can share what happened several years ago when I dug up & split dozens of Hosta plants.

I carefully packed each division in its own large pot (I’d saved a bunch) filled them each with good soil & lugged them all to the office. Then gave them to an associate who lives on several acres of land. They immediately planted all those Hostas in their new home. Shortly after they began growing & filling out nicely I was informed that the deer had eaten them all down to the nub.

I was kept informed throughout the growing season….the hostas did not rejuvenate…the next year when the Hosta began to grow out again, the same thing happened with the deer. This went on for yet another year before they replaced the Hosta with something less tasty.

We presently have a rabbit eating every new rose bud to emerge & then just severing branches willy~nilly. Next year I plan to surround the roses with plants unpalatable to rabbits.

They say there are plants deer don’t enjoy to smell or taste. Hope you can find a solution to rescue your Hostas.

#5260125 Report Abuse
    steepdrive
    steepdrive
    Participant

Thanks for the input.  I will do a trim of the stems to neaten things up.  I didn’t lose all the hosta but those critters really liked the biggest leaf variety for some reason.  Here’s how that part of the garden looked before.  I won’t honor those deer by taking photos of their damage.  They nibbled on plants they don’t usually touch too like heuchera and bee balm. Must have been the new fawns trying out new tastes.

I will continue to spray with liquid fence but have also just purchased a new product, Deer Be Gone and hope a new noxious odor will stop them coming by.

photo signature_1.gif

#5261362 Report Abuse
    NanaTnzone6
    NanaTnzone6
    Participant

Not sure this will help you, but here goes.  Four years ago deer ate all my hostas & made me very angry.  I used all I could find to stop them but nothing worked.  Then for some reason I thought of putting small solar lights out in the yard.  I put them away from the hostas, kind of at the edge of our acre.  I’m not sure it helped but no DEER with lights shining.  You might try it.  I just make sure the batteries are o.k. & try to make sure they are all shining. Now that I have said this out loud, deer will eat all my hosta to night.  Haha!!!!!

Good luck, Happy Gardening, NanaTnzone6

FlyHummer photo signature_3-1.gif

#5261404 Report Abuse
    steepdrive
    steepdrive
    Participant

Stanette _ I think the solar lights are just a coincidence.  I too have solar lights but it has made no difference with the deer.  Since we’ve been home the damage has stopped.  I’ll be spraying again today with liquid fence and I found a new product but think that it will attract the raccoons (that’s what the packaging says.)  Maybe a bigger problem.

photo signature_1.gif

#5261777 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I have my own home made deer repel that works really well.  Spray every 2 wk or after a heavy rain .  Otherwise it’s good.  I also was gone for a week.  Sprayed before I left.  Arthur’s rains came through on Friday & I got home Friday afternoon.  One of the things on the to do list for Sat. was to spray again.  Sat. morning came & overnight they had eaten every single bloom from my Daylilies !!! (And I had a lot)  Normally they don’t touch the blooms, only the buds.  I was so irritated but nothing to do.  You can bet I then  sprayed everything in the yard that had a bloom or a bud.  A few of the Daylilies were new this year that I didn’t even get to see bloom.

I also have a couple of new Oriental Lilies I’m waiting on to bloom this year.  One had two big buds.  Sat.morning it had a bud & a half.  At least it still had the one bud.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Gayle Gayle.
    #5265467 Report Abuse

Hostas are deer lettuce, they will mow it down every time they find it.

Trim of chewed stems, it is early enough in the season that new foliage may return.

Bird netting works wonders, and you only see it when you are on top of the plants.

Ron

http://www.gardening-for-wildlife.com

#5266958 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Try sprinkling red crushed pepper and garlic powder on plants.  The smell doesn’t linger long but it is on the plants for any critters that may want to eat in the flower beds.  I think this may work for a change.  I buy the cheap crushed pepper or cayenne pepper and garlic powder for this.  I use this and deer/rabbit repellent, too.  Now I have some kind of repellent that is for deer/all kinds of critters, etc.  I could get the Liquid Fence so tried something else.  My lilies and hostas were chewed this year, too.  So I alternate between different sprays and powders so they don’t get used to just one thing all the time because then they ignore and eat anyway.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.